Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE axle retaining clip

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Those clips are pretty common on driveshafts, not just Commodores. I’ve done some diy work on front wheel drive cars and they all say much the same thing… prise the shaft out of the transaxle and replace retainer clip (if it breaks). I had the impression that they are reusable if they come out okay. I’ve never had to replace them.

I had a quick look on a US parts site to see if I could find a part number. No luck, but the clip does seem to be included is a boot replacement kit. It’s probably available separately, but I can’t find it. Perhaps these things are just so common that repairers just use a generic clip?

The below is in USD.

IMG_2094.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any reason you won't call Holden to at least get a price?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I will mate, just today is public holiday in Victoria so was just trying my luck here for some info
I think you will be surprised. Holden can be exi on some things but cheap on other parts. Seals, clips things like this tend to be quite inexpensive in my experience.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ok that would be why we were able to pull the shafts and knuckle out without having to do anything but unbolt stuff.

I wonder then what happens to those clips when you replace a bearing, as you need to bash on the end of the shaft with a big hammer while using the puller tool as the hubs tend to seize on. Do the clips just compress each time you wack it?
Which bearing are you bashing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which bearing are you bashing?
The end of the axle shaft with the nut left on. The hub seizes on and it takes a lot to get it off. The wreckers ended up selling a complete hub/knuckle and shaft as they couldn't get it off the one they sold me either. I got it off but it took at lot of bashing while holding it in the vice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reactions: Lex

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
@losh1971 mate, the 'c' clip being referred to here are NOT on the wheel hub end of the CV shafts.

No VE ever has c clips at the outer wheel hub end of the CV shafts. Just a nut and locking washer.