Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE axle retaining clip

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'd say that's the difference. Someone like @lmoengnr would probably know. I didn't realise you had a HSV.
They are 'detent' type of clips, they should compress into the groove when levering the stub shafts out of the diff.
All ZF diffs should have them fitted if the stub shafts have grooves cut.
Try the old clips on the shafts, if you can't shake them off the shafts in their relaxed position, they should be ok to re-use.

Rupey

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
They are 'detent' type of clips, they should compress into the groove when levering the stub shafts out of the diff.
Try the old clips on the shafts, if you can't shake them off the shafts in their relaxed position, they should be ok to re-use.
Excellent thanks mate, appreciate it.. I figured all ZF diffs would be the same across the V6, V8 range including LSD and non-LSD
I figure if they aren't there the stub axle will just float in and out and potentially damage the seal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

I don't recall having any and I certainly didn't fit any new ones when the shafts went back in. Considering the method used for removing the hub I don't see how they wouldn't get damaged in the process. I will have to check my spare shaft and see if it has grooves and a clip.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I don't recall having any and I certainly didn't fit any new ones when the shafts went back in. Considering the method used for removing the hub I don't see how they wouldn't get damaged in the process. I will have to check my spare shaft and see if it has grooves and a clip.
Didn't you have problems removing your shafts when replacing the diff?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Didn't you have problems removing your shafts when replacing the diff?
Nope, the shafts and the knuckle slid right out. It was the bearing that later caused me grief.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This has really bugged me now. I may have them but IDR seeing any. If I did they certainly didn't need prising to get the shafts out. Looking at at big photo on a computer just now I can not see how those clips can be accessed, as that's inside the diff housing, past the seal I'm 99% sure of it. Got me stumped how they could be accessed. I'd love to see a photo of someone using a screwdriver on them with the diff in place.

Not doubting you have them now. I'm just confused on how they can be reached.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Excellent thanks mate, appreciate it.. I figured all ZF diffs would be the same across the V6, V8 range including LSD and non-LSD
I figure if they aren't there the stub axle will just float in and out and potentially damage the seal
Just a few differences, such as the input shaft difference between V6 and V8's and HSV diffs having shot peened gear sets.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This has really bugged me now. I may have them but IDR seeing any. If I did they certainly didn't need prising to get the shafts out. Looking at at big photo on a computer just now I can not see how those clips can be accessed, as that's inside the diff housing, past the seal I'm 99% sure of it. Got me stumped how they could be accessed. I'd love to see a photo of someone using a screwdriver on them with the diff in place.

Not doubting you have them now. I'm just confused on how they can be reached.
No big deal if they aren't fitted, the hub and suspension components will stop the driveshaft from 'exiting the vehicle'... :cool:
You can't access the clips 'in situ', that's why you need a pair of levers to remove them, the clips should compress into the groove as you lever them out.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No big deal if they aren't fitted, the hub and suspension components will stop the driveshaft from 'exiting the vehicle'... :cool:
You can't access the clips 'in situ', that's why you need a pair of levers to remove them, the clips should compress into the groove as you lever them out.
Ok that would be why we were able to pull the shafts and knuckle out without having to do anything but unbolt stuff.

I wonder then what happens to those clips when you replace a bearing, as you need to bash on the end of the shaft with a big hammer while using the puller tool as the hubs tend to seize on. Do the clips just compress each time you wack it?