Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V Wagon sound system help

Turbski

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF V6 Calais V Wagon , 2005 VZ SVZ V6 Wagon
Hi all,

I am having quite an issue after doing my sound system install, No matter what gain settings are used, my system seems to distort, even after lowering the gains on the Hi-LOW rca converter, or even on the amp itself,
the system sounds mint until around 25 volume, when using bluetooth primarily and i feel with the parts i have chosen it is fairly balanced.

all settings in the mylink eq are set to flat (Even lowering these makes little to no difference with distortion levels.

i am at the moment contemplating whether i replace the head unit with an aftermarket one, but doing this would be a bummer because i just spent 900$ a month or so ago on the import road carplay unit and i haven't really found a suitable replacement that retains all the standard features.

another option is to take it and have the system professonaly tuned, but i feel this won't help anything as no matter what the gains are set to i have distortion (This has been confirmed using an oscilloscope).

Do i need some sort of Audio processor maybe?

One way i managed to sort of avoid this issue was to turn both the Hi to low converter and amp gains up by heaps and just dont turn the radio up past 25 volume or so, but this introduces the problem that the turn signals are unbareably loud with this which is no good as well.

as far as im aware all the connections are good.

let us know your thoughts or if anyone has had this issue before.

Here is a rundown of the parts used
Headunit: Standard VF Calais V S1 Headunit with the import road carplay unit
Amp: Alpine PDX V9 5Ch
Door speakers: Polk audio mm6502 (Front) Polk audio mm650 (Rear)
Hi to low converter (HAS A CUSTOM HARNESS INCLUDED) : https://www.universalfuze.com/product-page/rca-output-converter-hi-low-for-holden-commodore
(Aerpro 4 Channel High to Low Audio Level Converter AP3044A)
Sub: Alpine 12Inch Type R sub (SBR-S12D4)
Wiring kit: 4AWG
Speaker wiring : 14 awg speaker cable

One further detail is i had this exact system in my VZ Svz wagon with a pioneer avic-z930dab head unit with not a single issue, sound was clear asf, with little to no distortion, and was so much louder.

At this point i think its the headunit or something to do with it, what do people suggest to fix this issue, if i can idealy keep the standard headunit that would be my first preference.

thanks everyone

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Hi all,

I am having quite an issue after doing my sound system install, No matter what gain settings are used, my system seems to distort, even after lowering the gains on the Hi-LOW rca converter, or even on the amp itself,
the system sounds mint until around 25 volume, when using bluetooth primarily and i feel with the parts i have chosen it is fairly balanced.

all settings in the mylink eq are set to flat (Even lowering these makes little to no difference with distortion levels.

i am at the moment contemplating whether i replace the head unit with an aftermarket one, but doing this would be a bummer because i just spent 900$ a month or so ago on the import road carplay unit and i haven't really found a suitable replacement that retains all the standard features.

another option is to take it and have the system professonaly tuned, but i feel this won't help anything as no matter what the gains are set to i have distortion (This has been confirmed using an oscilloscope).

Do i need some sort of Audio processor maybe?

One way i managed to sort of avoid this issue was to turn both the Hi to low converter and amp gains up by heaps and just dont turn the radio up past 25 volume or so, but this introduces the problem that the turn signals are unbareably loud with this which is no good as well.

as far as im aware all the connections are good.

let us know your thoughts or if anyone has had this issue before.

Here is a rundown of the parts used
Hi to low converter (HAS A CUSTOM HARNESS INCLUDED) : https://www.universalfuze.com/product-page/rca-output-converter-hi-low-for-holden-commodore
Speaker wiring : 14 awg speaker cable

One further detail is i had this exact system in my VZ Svz wagon with a pioneer avic-z930dab head unit with not a single issue, sound was clear asf, with little to no distortion, and was so much louder.

At this point i think its the headunit or something to do with it, what do people suggest to fix this issue, if i can idealy keep the standard headunit that would be my first preference.

thanks everyone
Get rid of the hi-low level converter and tap into the low level signal wires from the head unit. Much cleaner sound.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Get rid of the hi-low level converter and tap into the low level signal wires from the head unit. Much cleaner sound.
Dont think these head units all have line level out though the CalaisV has Bose Amp at the read and these have line out. Line out/low level out seems to be a software configuration thing so it may be posible to "upgrade" lower units via sms calibration software... possibly...

Don't discount that your converter is faulty and that's why you get noise. Best to go line out at the rear amp since you have CalaisV. And use shielded or twisted cab;les to avoid noise...

See this thread that links to more info

PS: i got out of spendinmg $$$ on car sound systems in the late 80's so i'm not current on such stuff these days. Factory is ok for my ears ... what you say... speak up :p

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Take the low level signal wires from the plug that goes into the Bose amp. These wires run from the headunit to the bose amp in the boot. I did the same with mine to run my Focal Bomba bp20 active sub.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
There is no bose amp on the wagon, only the sedan!
Aftermarket.
"Here is a rundown of the parts used
Speaker wiring : 14 awg speaker cable"

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Aftermarket.
"Here is a rundown of the parts used
Speaker wiring : 14 awg speaker cable"
Sorry, should've included a quote reply to skylarking.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry, should've included a quote reply to skylarking.
Yeah I forgot the wagon doesn’t have the Bose amp as it’s a little different to the sedan :p
Guess I’m not a train spotter :oops:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah I forgot the wagon doesn’t have the Bose amp as it’s a little different to the sedan :p
Guess I’m not a train spotter :oops:
I've fitted a couple of Calais and HSV head units with CD players into cars that don't have the Bose system and amp, and the speakers, fader controls etc work as normal. I only changed the VIN to unlock them from the donor vehicles and retained the OEM Calais or HSV software.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
PS: i got out of spendinmg $$$ on car sound systems in the late 80's so i'm not current on such stuff these days. Factory is ok for my ears ... what you say... speak up :p
Yep same.
I stopped mucking around with car sound in the late 90's when the systems got more integrated so it all got too hard. Prior to that I used to bore people silly with my installs.
Added to my hearing starting to miss some frequencies around the vocal range. I blame the workplace (but actually I think it is due to attending lots of extremely loud bands in my youth).
Explains why I don't hear some of my wife's important instructions.