Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF S2 or ZB, what to buy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at ZB or VF
Hi All,

I have spent reasonable about of time looking through some of the longer-term reviews for the ZB and I am still a little unsure of the longer-term reliability.
Does anyone that owns one have anything more to add about the ZB?

5 years ago, I owned a S1 VF ute with the 3.6, fitted with FE2 suspension and loved it!
My needs changed, and I bought a crappy old wagon that served me well for a while but has now gone to the wreckers.

I am looking for a newer low km Wagon either a S2 VF or ZB (near) new.

I have never driven the 3.0L V6 in the VF wagon, however I am not objected to it.
I recently test drove a 2017 VF SV6 wagon and it was great to drive but had too many km for my needs.

I have a budget up to 35k for the right car, less would be better but I can stretch for the right car.

My main concern is there seems to problems reported for even near new ZB.
I watched the redriven review, I am not sure if it worth risking the eco tech 2.0L or going for the v6.
Open to Calais models too if they' fit in the budget.

Looking to tow 6.4 trailers, go to bunning alot, do some long tris and run around town etc.

Cheers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
both are great vehicles so it really just comes down to what you want in the vehicle.

i had a zb v6 and it served me well until i sold it, no issues over 100,000km apart from a leaky ac hose which was around 400 to fix.

this is it here at the dealer i traded it to, still a good vehicle imo.

both vehicles will tow your trailer so really the main difference for you will be the inside of the vehicle and the tech like having android auto/carplay and some of the other features the zb has that the vf does not have.

take both for a drive and see which one suits you.

it will be hard to get solid opinions from commodore enthusiasts because they dont consider the zb as a commodore and most of them have never owned or even driven one but they will have an input on them because of the dislike for the imported rebadged insignia.

i can only give my opinion based on the vehicles i have owned which include both the vf and zb being daily drivers and if i was presented with the option between the 2 in the v6 range i would choose the zb because it was just a better vehicle.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at ZB or VF
both are great vehicles so it really just comes down to what you want in the vehicle.

i had a zb v6 and it served me well until i sold it, no issues over 100,000km apart from a leaky ac hose which was around 400 to fix.

this is it here at the dealer i traded it to, still a good vehicle imo.

both vehicles will tow your trailer so really the main difference for you will be the inside of the vehicle and the tech like having android auto/carplay and some of the other features the zb has that the vf does not have.

take both for a drive and see which one suits you.

it will be hard to get solid opinions from commodore enthusiasts because they dont consider the zb as a commodore and most of them have never owned or even driven one but they will have an input on them because of the dislike for the imported rebadged insignia.

i can only give my opinion based on the vehicles i have owned which include both the vf and zb being daily drivers and if i was presented with the option between the 2 in the v6 range i would choose the zb because it was just a better vehicle.
Thanks mate,
I understand that in general it is improvement, just trying to get a larger sample size. Could you turn the adaptive cruise control off and make it regular cruise control? Some cars you can choose either.
Also with the v6 did it have the Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation)?
Thanks again

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks mate,
I understand that in general it is improvement, just trying to get a larger sample size. Could you turn the adaptive cruise control off and make it regular cruise control? Some cars you can choose either.
Also with the v6 did it have the Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation)?
Thanks again

yes the v6 has afm and adaptive cruise is only on the vxr and calais-v liftbacks, its not in the wagons

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The ZB V6 has active fuel management. I don't know about being able to turn off the Adaptive Cruise function. The Adapative cruise is only on the VXR and Calais. You can turn off the auto Stop/Start.

Handling and performance wise the ZB is all over the VE V6, (my wife has a VF S Z series) and I'd say also the VF. If I had to choose I'd definitely go for the ZB. I've owned Commodores right from the VB (VB VC VL VY VE ZB) so I'm not some Johnny Come Lately WRT Commodore ownership. The ZB is bloody good. The AWD system on the V6's is awesome.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I recall Smitty who I think has something to do with fleets of VF’s and ZB’s saying the durability of some of the components in the VF’s were more reliable than the ZB’s. I think he said something about gear box problems.
I don't know how to link sh1t, but I found a post made by Smitty on 29th October last year about selling the fleet of ZBs. If you do a search around that time.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Could you turn the adaptive cruise control off and make it regular cruise control? Some cars you can choose either.
I have never tried to turn it off. Adaptive cruise is a bit weird at first but once you get used to it you don't go back.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I recall Smitty who I think has something to do with fleets of VF’s and ZB’s saying the durability of some of the components in the VF’s were more reliable than the ZB’s. I think he said something about gear box problems.

this is the post here referencing the 4cyl zb fleet being retired.

let's just say ...
I am getting rid of them (all 2.0 Turbo LTs) as soon as I can out of our fleet at work.
30 down (replaced by KIAs and Mitsubishi models, 2 this week!)... 7 to go

the diesel donk is mated to the 8sp, not really sure if its any good as i wanted the awd and 6cyl which has the 9sp box.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at ZB or VF
The ZB V6 has active fuel management. I don't know about being able to turn off the Adaptive Cruise function. The Adapative cruise is only on the VXR and Calais. You can turn off the auto Stop/Start.

Handling and performance wise the ZB is all over the VE V6, (my wife has a VF S Z series) and I'd say also the VF. If I had to choose I'd definitely go for the ZB. I've owned Commodores right from the VB (VB VC VL VY VE ZB) so I'm not some Johnny Come Lately WRT Commodore ownership. The ZB is bloody good. The AWD system on the V6's is awesome.
Thanks so much, yes I felt on paper the ZB looked good but at the time of writing there seemed to less longer term ownership experiences, I have read through most on the forums.
Obviously this because they didn't sell in high numbers and the length of time since release.

My concerns were mainly around other Holden cars such the trax, cruze, captiva having major components failure early, yes they have built in a different factory, with poor R and D but makes one wary.
I have a local VXR that I will go and test drive very soon, Thanks again

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at ZB or VF
this is the post here referencing the 4cyl zb fleet being retired.

the diesel donk is mated to the 8sp, not really sure if its any good as i wanted the awd and 6cyl which has the 9sp box.
Thanks mate.