Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN fuel pressure regulator

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Posts #14 and #17 cover the criteria to set the codes. It's what the ECM sees that matters though. The voltages can read fine at the sensor but be something different at the ECM.

Obviously we don't know how you are checking the voltages. Just in case, one way is to use dressmakers pin's pushed in next to the ECM connector terminals, with the anti back out combs removed, (not through the wires as someone else did when I tried to explain the same thing) and measure off them.

The ECM can also be faulty and throw false codes.

The fan will come on in limp home mode with some fault codes and with the diagnostic link shorted, engine off, ignition on.

If it's always on, that's a short to earth on the relay, if it's still wired the same way as in a Commodore. The short to earth can be in/through the ECM.

Perhaps there's more not quite right with the wiring? How did you set it up?

I back probed from the Map and the ECU connections to get the readings and they were the same. The wiring was setup as per v6 conversions instructions. It was quite a simple setup. Only had 6 wires to connect to the vehicle, all the plugs connected to the engine loom easily. Its kind of hard to explain besides, it was simple.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Ok, I have discovered that the no start problem is from the alternator charge light. I put the 30a fuse back in and pulled the alt light wire apart and it runs. I now have no charge from my alternator either, so now I am pissed off. I pulled the commodore engine loom from the firewall and had a look at the wiring and found that the purple wire for the O2 sense, the green Reference wire for the MAP and a large earth are all damaged like they have been sliced. So I will fix those and see if that fixes My MAP prob. Wish me luck.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Fixed the wires and still getting check engine light for MAP sensor. WTF? I am just over it at the moment. I just want it going. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. At the moment I have the wiring pulled apart from the battery (which now looks like it is dead from the alternator). I also rang v6 conversions and asked them about my prob and they said I must have the wrong wire for the alt light but I tested it as per their instructions and it is the right one.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Not pressure regulator

I have possibly narrowed the problem down to one of 2 things. Buggered alternator or buggered battery (or possibly both). I pulled the light for the alt from the dash and the car starts and runs, but it won't charge the battery as it is an exciter for the regulator. With it running I then plugged the light back in and it keeps running but the engine bogs right down almost to the point of stalling before it then picks up a bit.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Hooray

Problem fixed, picked up a running VP commodore for $500 the other day and whacked the motor, engine loom and computer in today and is all good. Hooray for me.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
where is this vp you pulled motor from now
Ill guess the whole lot has now been crushed or at the tip. The Vp and the commolux. What sort of idoit puts a motor thats allergic to water in a 4wd? Wash a holden v6 its likely to start missing.

Last edited: