Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 cranks but wont start help

vr st8to

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman caprice 5 l & vu s pac ute 6 speed
Help at Witts end .
My vr v8 starto cranks but wont start . I have tried start ya bastard no luck . replaced the ignition module with a working second hand unit . replaced the hall efect sensor in the dizzy . replaced the coil.There seems to be an injector pulse . Fuel seems to be at the fuel rail . My friend cleared all the codes thinking he was helping with out recording any . No more faults have appeared . Has any 1 got any ideas . I was thinking of checking wiring loom and the BCM . Have also had a key guy come n check the key saying it is all ok . So im lost .

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
To me it sounds like the problem I've had with the BCM on 2 different cars.
IF the car throws up a "31" code it states that "Theft Deterrent signal is missing".(yes I read that your mate wiped the codes but there is a hope it will throw one up).
I had your problem on the wife's VR 5Lt Calais. it wasn't until I replaced the BCM that it threw up a "46",
Reference signal missing.
So I suggest if you can borrow a bcm of the same level to try or buy one from a wrecker with key fob (as they are coded to the BCM),
you may be able to eliminate that from the problem.
I am only suggesting "borrow" a BCM from a friend or buy second hand from a wrecker as they are so damn expensive new & you need to get a new key fob coded to it.!
I hope that helps.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
So you replaced the Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor. How did you make sure that you replaced the distributor in the position to ensure that the timing was correct? Also, did you replace the items in your list one by one testing whether each had solved your problem or did you replace multiple items at the same time and only test afterwards? How did the non-start happen - did it stop and then not start again, or did it just not start one morning or something else?

vr st8to

Reaction score
Members Ride
I replaced 1 @ a time and still had the same thing . Turns over fine but wont start . I made sure that N#1 was on TDC Before i placed the dizzy back in & the marks line up . The spark dose seem a bit on the weak side . I have a gp 125 2 stroke & the spark on that is a lot stronger . So to get a BCM at the same level dose that just mean the same number that is on it ??

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Does it give any signs of starting- cough/splutter? or just continue cranking over and over?

If it wont start or at least cough with someone firing start ya bastard down its intake, then I would think its a spark issue.

vr st8to

Reaction score
Members Ride
It has spark but it seems very weak .

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
was #1 at TDC compression or exhaust , could be 180 degrees out still , double check all electrical connections look for corroded or backed out pins check for poor earths or bad connections .

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you set the base timing to 10 degrees BTDC in diagnostic mode using a timing light?

If you don't have a timing light, try loosening the distributor clamp bolt a little so that you can rotate the distributor. While someone else is cranking the starter, rotate the distributor slowly about 30 degrees in either direction and see if it starts at any point. Use a gardening glove or thick rag on top of the distributor not your bare hand.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Bump.
Have you found the problem yet ?
Happy New Year.