Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT TPS sensor code 22 ??

ricky0134

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
Hey guys i have a replaced the tps sensor with one from the wreckers and seem to not change anything. Could there be something else giving me this problem or have i probably wasted money on a dodgy tps.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
have you measured the voltage at the tps, if so what was it

ricky0134

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
No i havent yet but i will check tomorrow. Have any idea on what it should be?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
TPS are very sensitive, if you look at it the wrong way you can %$#& it up!
I wouldn't buy one from a wrecker for that reason, and a new one only costs $50-$80 depending on where you get it. Seen them on ebay pretty cheap, should be OK if Genuine.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Are you sure you reinstalled it correctly?

No i havent yet but i will check tomorrow. Have any idea on what it should be?
Using a volt metre, check the reference voltage from the PCM. Connect the positive probe (+)
onto the reference wire (Grey) and the negative probe (-) onto the earth wire (Black/Yellow).
The voltage should read approximately 5.0 Volts.

Next, check the TPS signal voltage.
With the throttle fully closed, connect the positive probe (+) of the volt meter onto the
signal wire (C Terminal on the TPS) and the negative probe (-) onto the earth wire (B Terminal on the TPS)
Gradually open the throttle and observe the TPS sensor voltage.
There should be a smooth change in the voltage values as the sensor travels from idle to full throttle.
The voltage should increase to approximately 4.5 to 5.0 volts.

Last edited:

ricky0134

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
Thanks guys for all the help. All the voltage seemed to check out so i went out for another TPS. Got one for 35 and seems to be running sweet now :D

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Good to hear ricky.

BrenBob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2000 Vt wagon
I have just replaced the TPS on my 2000 VT commodore and after reading all I could I still had problems. I purchased a TPS on Ebay and did all the checks to make sure I got the right part. ie "Confirm this item fits" my vehicle check. Looked through the "Compatibility List" of models etc. Part arrived and looked like my old TPS. Voltage checks all looked good. BUT after fitting, my car was still running rough and changing gears hard. Still had engine light coming on with error code 22. Stumped I took it to an auto electrician who found the problem.
There are 2 identical TPS's. One is a Clockwise rotation and the other is a Counter Clockwise rotation. The Counter Clockwise has a black insert and is the correct TPS for my 2000 V6 ecotec. The purchased one was a Clockwise TPS with a grey insert. Not 100% sure which model it is used on but believe mainly V8s. An expensive lesson for me.

Attachments

• H-TPSD Delco Throttle Position Sensor Technical Diagram0001-00.jpg
    H-TPSD Delco Throttle Position Sensor Technical Diagram0001-00.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 16

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have just replaced the TPS on my 2000 VT commodore and after reading all I could I still had problems. I purchased a TPS on Ebay and did all the checks to make sure I got the right part. ie "Confirm this item fits" my vehicle check. Looked through the "Compatibility List" of models etc. Part arrived and looked like my old TPS. Voltage checks all looked good. BUT after fitting, my car was still running rough and changing gears hard. Still had engine light coming on with error code 22. Stumped I took it to an auto electrician who found the problem.
There are 2 identical TPS's. One is a Clockwise rotation and the other is a Counter Clockwise rotation. The Counter Clockwise has a black insert and is the correct TPS for my 2000 V6 ecotec. The purchased one was a Clockwise TPS with a grey insert. Not 100% sure which model it is used on but believe mainly V8s. An expensive lesson for me.

There is one for Buick & 5L and one for the Eco. And as you found they are not interchangeable.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
Can anyone specify the correct part for an 02 vx 3.8 please? I am having some flat spot issues and believe the TPS is the culprit after going through all the usual suspects.