Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I had 3.91 in my blown LS1 that make 500hp

I ended putting in 3.46 gears which made it much better

I wish I put in 2.87, 3.07 gears in now though

As this is your daily, running a T400 (no overdrive-no lock up) and 3.9 gears could be a issue

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Agree with others reckon you should go taller 3.46 or try a cheap 3.07 lsd to see how you like it.

It's got more than enough torque to pull heavy car as long as it's not slippy type convertor will be fine.

If skidding it a bit cheap shite tyres are the go once you get bored & want it to feel quicker get some expensive sticky tyres it will feel like it gained 50-100hp untill the expensive tyres wear down too quickly.

Would be fyun at powercruise where you could really beat on it lol

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Well, took your guys advice...spoke to the mechanic as well....dropped my gears to 3.4's. At this stage hoping to get my car back by xmas.

Was also thinking of installing a couple of these on the bonnet...maybe one each side of the washers to expel the heat. Flush mounted vents.

AK7aPaCRGkvRzIhvu0-FbhJ6yM8AC2BJXsrroW3UDfxiiYqlLvH9rug7_SpJFpzBatsPSD0sX5sY6VVF_NYNGWRtnyJN0APfpg=s1600

Nice and simple installation with press in fittings. While I would have the option to colour code these, its still impossible to hide them (obviously). For me, bonnet scoops are not an option. Not even the monaro scoops. And I think these are the least obvious way to dispel heat internally from the bay. 316 Stainless boat fittings. Ordered a pair today and will have to check for fitting etc before I commit. Will need to get a spare bonnet for this and keep mine for posterity. 94 mm diameter, not small but will have to check the visual. Could also maybe have them coming out the side guards under the rear vision mirrors. Need to see really.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Well, took your guys advice...spoke to the mechanic as well....dropped my gears to 3.4's. At this stage hoping to get my car back by xmas.

Was also thinking of installing a couple of these on the bonnet...maybe one each side of the washers to expel the heat. Flush mounted vents.

AK7aPaCRGkvRzIhvu0-FbhJ6yM8AC2BJXsrroW3UDfxiiYqlLvH9rug7_SpJFpzBatsPSD0sX5sY6VVF_NYNGWRtnyJN0APfpg=s1600

Nice and simple installation with press in fittings. While I would have the option to colour code these, its still impossible to hide them (obviously). For me, bonnet scoops are not an option. Not even the monaro scoops. And I think these are the least obvious way to dispel heat internally from the bay. 316 Stainless boat fittings. Ordered a pair today and will have to check for fitting etc before I commit. Will need to get a spare bonnet for this and keep mine for posterity. 94 mm diameter, not small but will have to check the visual. Could also maybe have them coming out the side guards under the rear vision mirrors. Need to see really.
Did your account get hacked?

I wouldn't, I personally think they would look cheap and tacky

I would look at thermal protection on the headers, either a heat sheild or wrap, or, a heat sheild and wrap

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe try lift the bonnet at the back (ricer style) for a bit to see if ventilating helps? Not sure you can, but worth a shot.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Maybe try lift the bonnet at the back (ricer style) for a bit to see if ventilating helps? Not sure you can, but worth a shot.
That only works when stationary or at really low speeds

The area in front of the windscreen at the cowl is a high pressure zone when at speed

Whilst it does let air "in", the negative side effect is that it increases under bonnet air pressure, thus reducing the efficiency of your radiator stack and can cause raised coolant temps

This is what I found when I fitted the reverse cowl, the reverse cowls and Monaro, XB/XC bonnets are designed for a carbie, they are also meant to have ducting to the carrier so it gets ambient temp air, not hot underbonnet air

Another thing to look at is your undertray, people remove them, but their main job is to help draw air through your radiator stack, like a venturi

The air under the car has a high velocity, this, with the aid of the undertray, drags air out from the engine bay, reducing the underboonet air pressure, thus increasing efficiency of the radiator stack

#fluiddynamics

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I recall the episode of John Cadogan v Andrew StPier-White. Re: ASPW claiming Toyotas intercooler and bonnet venting was not done the right way. Science won.