Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Factory System upgrade

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Hi guys,

I'm adding new speakers to a VY Series 2 Calais level factory system (standard 6 CD headunit).

Speakers in the doors say 2 ohm on them. If I replace these 6" fronts, (including replacement of the factory dash tweeters) and and the 6 " rears with 2 ohm speakers, it's a straight swap, right? No other changes required and the factory amp and subs will keep working, right?

I'm looking at the wiring diagram for this car and it's not quite clear. It appears that the speakers are 2 ohm and present a 4 ohm load to the headunit. How does that work with the front speakers+ tweeters and the two subs on the rear shelf?

Thanks

Last edited:

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Because the headunit is 4 channel, so if you look at RHF speakers for example the tweeter and woofer are wired together, so 2 ohm plus 2 ohm gives you 4 ohm.

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Ah, thanks. I got you.. So, with the fronts, 2 ohm aftermarket splits should be wired the same as the factory speakers, and present the same 4 ohm load to the headunit? Any tricks there to be aware of?

Mind you, I can't find any 2 ohm splits, rare as hens teeth. JBL make some 2.3 ohm splits, as good as it's going to get but should be ok.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Just look for 4ohm splits, the crossover unit presents the mid and tweeters to the headunit with a 4ohm load.

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Thanks. I have some 6.5" high sensitivity (good for low power headunis) 4 ohm splits here actually. I'll throw them in and see what they sound like. Cheers

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Ok, I threw some 6.5" splits in. High sensitivity units (92 DB). They're very faint compared to the factory rear 2 ohm 6" speakers. The system is quite unbalanced. All the volume is from the rear unless I fade the rears out completely, which doesn't sound right. I've experienced this on my other car but wasn't 100% sure of the cause. Now I know. Any thoughts?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Better speakers have larger power requirements. The stock headunit won't be putting out enough power to drive them. I reread your initial post and unfortunately you will need an amp to balance the levels.

You can cheat and use hi level inputs straight from your headunit to the amp, (small rewire) then use the factory looms to the speakers

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Better speakers have larger power requirements. The stock headunit won't be putting out enough power to drive them. I reread your initial post and unfortunately you will need an amp to balance the levels.

You can cheat and use hi level inputs straight from your headunit to the amp, (small rewire) then use the factory looms to the speakers

Thanks for the reply. Ive no interest in doing any of that. I'll put the standard speakers back in instead. I'm very surprised to see this happen with such sensitive speakers that are designed for running off the headunit. I'm not expecting much here, but it's pretty woeful in the front now. All good, now I know. Cheers.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Interesting outcome. I've run 4ohm componant speakers off the stock headunits without issue.