Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Factory System upgrade

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
like a normal person? Yes.

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
like a normal person? Yes.
Err, hate to tell you but tonnes of people all over the world leave stock speakers in the rear, or remove them altogether. Simply known as rear fill. You just turn them down in the back usually. I've always done this in many other brands of cars. This is the first time it hasn't worked.

In this scenario, it looks like the factory rears are way too efficient and overpowering the aftermarkrt fronts. I can't balance them out with the limited factory headunit abilities . I thought the sensitivity of these aftermarket splits I put in the front would be enough, but no.

I've just left it for the moment. But, since I've no interest in adding amps to this car, I either put the standard speakers back in the front, or replace the rears too. I'm not sure exactly how the factory 2 ohm subs in the rear shelf are wired to the 2 ohm rear speakers and if moving to a 4 ohm 6" coaxial would cause any grief.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Err, hate to tell you but tonnes of people all over the world leave stock speakers in the rear, or remove them altogether. Simply known as rear fill. You just turn them down in the back usually. I've always done this in many other brands of cars. This is the first time it hasn't worked.

In this scenario, it looks like the factory rears are way too efficient and overpowering the aftermarkrt fronts. I can't balance them out with the limited factory headunit abilities . I thought the sensitivity of these aftermarket splits I put in the front would be enough, but no.

I've just left it for the moment. But, since I've no interest in adding amps to this car, I either put the standard speakers back in the front, or replace the rears too. I'm not sure exactly how the factory 2 ohm subs in the rear shelf are wired to the 2 ohm rear speakers and if moving to a 4 ohm 6" coaxial would cause any grief.

Err most people I've encountered tend to use the correct impendance when upgrading on the cheap so not sure what else to tell you here..

Just keep in mind, some of us were toying with these cars 20 years ago so what you believe 'Tonnes of people' are doing I call an excuse for not wanting to spend $

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Err most people I've encountered tend to use the correct impendance when upgrading on the cheap so not sure what else to tell you here..

Just keep in mind, some of us were toying with these cars 20 years ago so what you believe 'Tonnes of people' are doing I call an excuse for not wanting to spend $
Dude, Tonnes of people around the world in different types of cars, try and keep up.

I first put a system in my brand new VXII SS in 2002. Do the maths on that if you can. I replaced the lot in that car, ran a new HU, 3 Alpine / MTX amps, all Focal speakers and two 12" Alpine subs. All installed by myself. So, what we're you saying again?

I simply don't want to do that with this car. It's nothing to do with money. How hard is that to understand?

Also, In case you also hadn't noticed, I attempted to match the impedance, that was the whole thread. What impedance to you think these cars run? Either be helpful or FO.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
With all that car audio experience not sure why you'd be questioning an identical system.

Sounds like you've got everything covered then.

Thanks for keeping me updated on all the trends. I'll get started on removing all that fill my logic7 provides

Last edited:

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
With all that car audio experience not sure why you'd be questioning an identical system.

Sounds like you've got everything covered then.

Thanks for keeping me updated on all the trends. I'll get started on removing all that fill my logic7 provides
Ah, I should have realised, it's school holidays. On your way.