Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] + VY How to disable Traction Control (ETC)

Mrmotox023

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy s pack & vl
iv done this 2 both my vy and vt, traction control has nearly killed me and my family be4 its not the best feeling 2 b pulling out in2 traffic and the engine starts 2 break down because u hav put the foot down, almost been hit a few times, now u pull out get alil wheel spin but all is good not stuck in the middle of the road so 2 speak

jamsvx

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Hi guys, i've pulled out the red tab and lifted off the harness, but i'm unsure and how to 'remove the connector' i can see number 27 terminal. how do i go about taking it out?

thank you!

RedDragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
no tc button

Hi guys, I wann try this but I have another question that may sound stupid.
My model is a 98 vt clubsport, 5.0, tenth anniversary, auto.
It has the Power button on the right side of the gear lever.
But it doesn't have the Traction Control button at all.

So does my car even have traction control? And if so...
Will this work for my car too?
Cheers

Mrmotox023

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy s pack & vl
no i dont think your clubby has traction control

peterlonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
The problem with "the switch solution" is that again you will not know instinctively whether TC is on or off.
You could of course wire in a red LED warning light so that when it glows you don't have TC.
But this is becoming more complicated.
Also bear in mind, that in quite a few cases TC is always on, because activating the switch with the intention of switching it off, simply does not work.
BTW I think that may be due to either an age related module problem or a switch problem. I gather a reconditioned module is about $300.

peterlonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
The failure of the ETC warning light (which clearly should come on after this mod) has been reported here several times without any likely explanation.
I guess it does not matter that much so long as it's not an indicator of some other system fault.
It's surprising that in these instances the drivers seem uncertain whether they have actually managed the "disable mod" or not.
You'd expect it would be obvious at the first attempt at a hard launch?
Is something being missed here?

05 vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Is it the same for a 05 vz auto?

Dg420

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
For those people with LPG factory fitted you will not need to worry about this, this should already have been performed by Holden.

For those with LPG you can disable Traction Control very easily (should already be done, if not it can cause problems when driving as the ETC changes spark firing and air/fuel ratio as well as boost for supercharged vehicles). If you dont have LPG, and just dont like Traction Control this is also the right topic to disable it.

NB: This how-to will only tell you how to disable Traction Control. It will not disable ABS. Thus your ABS system will still work properly.

The proper and recommended way to disable ETC is this:

1. Open your bonnet to reveal your ABS module on the drivers side wheel arch.

2. Disconnect the battery

3. Remove the wiring connector you see on the front of the ABS module.

4. Locate terminal 27 and push it out of the connector. NB: If your unsure the wire is Black/White in colour.

Image of connector in case your confused:
View attachment 242357

5. Use some electrical tape to tape up the terminal.

6. Plug the connector back onto the ABS module.

7. Reconnect the battery.

8. Close your bonnet and enjoy no traction control.

Please note that when this is done the ETC system will be disabled. This will result in the TRAC OFF light (in VT and VX) and the TRAC OFF warning on LCD screen (VY) to be active. VT and VX owners, do not remove the warning lamp in the cluster. It is there for a reason, and reminds you (or the owner) that it's function is unavailable.

I do not take any responsibility for you being actually able to take o

For those people with LPG factory fitted you will not need to worry about this, this should already have been performed by Holden.

For those with LPG you can disable Traction Control very easily (should already be done, if not it can cause problems when driving as the ETC changes spark firing and air/fuel ratio as well as boost for supercharged vehicles). If you dont have LPG, and just dont like Traction Control this is also the right topic to disable it.

NB: This how-to will only tell you how to disable Traction Control. It will not disable ABS. Thus your ABS system will still work properly.

The proper and recommended way to disable ETC is this:

1. Open your bonnet to reveal your ABS module on the drivers side wheel arch.

2. Disconnect the battery

3. Remove the wiring connector you see on the front of the ABS module.

4. Locate terminal 27 and push it out of the connector. NB: If your unsure the wire is Black/White in colour.

Image of connector in case your confused:
View attachment 242357

5. Use some electrical tape to tape up the terminal.

6. Plug the connector back onto the ABS module.

7. Reconnect the battery.

8. Close your bonnet and enjoy no traction control.

Please note that when this is done the ETC system will be disabled. This will result in the TRAC OFF light (in VT and VX) and the TRAC OFF warning on LCD screen (VY) to be active. VT and VX owners, do not remove the warning lamp in the cluster. It is there for a reason, and reminds you (or the owner) that it's function is unavailable.

I do not take any responsibility for you being actually able to take off properly in situations.
Iv got a vx commy series 2 with no TRC button iv popped the top off found terminal 27 but don't know what I am removing and where this wire Is tried pushing out the pin but it doesn't push out anyone kind enough to explain