Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] + VY How to disable Traction Control (ETC)

turbobrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS Commodore 6 speed.
Not all have traction control, but the manuals (like my VX SS) has the button near the key.

Be aware, doing this will void insurance if they find out, and also if you get a prick rego inspector (in NSW) it wont pass safety certificate for registration.

B.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Not all have traction control, but the manuals (like my VX SS) has the button near the key.

Be aware, doing this will void insurance if they find out, and also if you get a prick rego inspector (in NSW) it wont pass safety certificate for registration.

B.

By that logic simply turning off the button would also void the insurance, or getting lpg installed since you cant use traction control with lpg.

You really think they would go through the the entire loom to discover if the wire had been cut.

Oh traction control isn't working, must have been damaged in crash

turbobrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS Commodore 6 speed.
By that logic simply turning off the button would also void the insurance, or getting lpg installed since you cant use traction control with lpg.

You really think they would go through the the entire loom to discover if the wire had been cut.

Oh traction control isn't working, must have been damaged in crash

Turning off the button is a user issue, disabling it do that it can not be activated at all is a legal issue.

Holden have called Traction Control a "safety feature" of their vehicle, therefore cutting a wire or interfering with a safety feature can cause issues legally as well as with insurance.

If you get a picky cop and fail the attitude test, you will see him asking you to do this, check that, turn lights on, and if he spots the traction off light on the dash, he could very well ask you to turn the traction control back on. If you cant, there's an easy defect. Dont thing it will happen, I have seen defects issued for empty washer spray bottle, and no H-pattern on a manual gear lever.

I am not saying the mod is going to immediately get you in trouble, I am just putting the information out there so people know the possible ramifications of the mod. We all know that messing with EPA can lead to a fine, yet some people still remove the cat converters and fit a straight-through section of pipe, it's basically weighing up the pro's and con's and making a decision based on knowing both sides.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Would just like to add if it hasn't already, that Vapour and Liquid Injection systems do not need the Traction Control disabled. TC works (as mentioned before) by cutting the injectors and backing off the throttle, which means Vapour and Liquid LPG injection is cut.

This only applies to the older style 'mixer systems'.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Might just remove the traction control globe from the dash.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Cheers.........................................................

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
ive got a VT ss, series 1 manual. doesnt have the TC button anywhere that im aware of, just to clarify, does that mean it would have traction control as described in the mod? just so its always engaged?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
ive got a VT ss, series 1 manual. doesnt have the TC button anywhere that im aware of, just to clarify, does that mean it would have traction control as described in the mod? just so its always engaged?

Yes it is.

Guesty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Sedan
Hey, I have just bought a 2002 VY SS Sedan, it has the traction control button, but when I push the button no lights come up on the dash ever or anything, but it does have traction control working...I'm just trying to figure out how exactly this button works - Am i supposed to hold the button down to disable traction control for just the time that the button is held down, or do I just need to simply push the button once and it's all disabled? I'm really confused because nothing at all shows up on the dash when this button is pressed so I don't really have a clue..

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
so i got around to doing this today. a few things though, firstly my abs module doesnt have the red tab sort of thing that you pull out towards the engine so the loom can be pulled out. it looks as if it was there once, but now is nothing. i could not for the life of me get the loom to come out, the bracket that holds the abs module looked like it was gonna snap before the loom showed any signs of dislodgement. so i noticed on top that the pins are also numbered and i located pin 27, the black and white wire (only black and white wire i could find also) and cut it about 5 cm up from the pin, i figured fixing a wire would be better then me wrecking the loom altogether from trying to pry it apart.

however after doing this, the TRAC OFF light doesnt come up on my dash, i can see where the light is if i look into the dash with a light, but it does not light up. and to be honest, im not sure if i can tell a difference in traction, at first i thought it seemed like it would break traction easy, but after a few drives im not quite sure.

anyone else had something like this?

Last edited: