Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] + VY How to disable Traction Control (ETC)

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Thats a VY 'S' Series 2

Have you considered that it might not have traction control or that it might be overridden in some way? The traction control of commodores is very crude, if you spin the wheels it backs off the throttle to near idle until you gain traction and then a further few seconds. Trying to launch in the wet with TC on cannot be described as "grip and go" lol.

Jordzz

VL Calais 5 Spd ### yea
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais 5spd VT S 5spd VX Berlina VP 5spd VS Cal
ill post here saves me starting a new thread...
My VX Berlina S1 has Traction Control with the button next to the shifter
but when you turn it on/off is there supposed to be a display on the dash saying traction off or something like there is for power? cos my cars dash doesnt light up when ever i press it. Im thinkin maybe a globe or somethin has gone in the dash or my cars retarted cheers
EDIT : woops didnt realise this was an HOW- TO thread sorry guys

BradTheGreat

cannons are for pirates.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VUII S-pack
At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't turning traction control off in a VT/VX as simple as pushing the button next to gear selector?

SAMO-87, yes it's that simple, however this does it permanently. No risk of not knowing whether it's on of off. That way whenever you start your vehicle it's always off. No need to toggle it.

...potentially VERY stupid question but.. what button? ...the Power swtich? :hit:

EDIT: i have an Executive VT II... if it matters

jamiev90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
theres got to be something i'm doing wrong, i can't even disconnect the ABS plug, is there a way to disconnecting this? i think i'm trying to not force the plug in fear of breaking it, is there a release on the side or what..

aaronp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 HSV Avalanche XUV
on cars that allow you to disable traction control, there is a T/C switch to the bottom right of the shifter, if you look at the plastic piece that tells you what gear you are in, at the bottom of that, if there is no switch, there will be a large black section with nothing there. that is where the switch usually goes.

see the image attached:
console.jpg

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
theres got to be something i'm doing wrong, i can't even disconnect the ABS plug, is there a way to disconnecting this? i think i'm trying to not force the plug in fear of breaking it, is there a release on the side or what..

yeh dude, there should be a red handle thing under the wires, pull that towards the engine and doing that should life the plug from the socket...

the part i'm stuck on is getting the damned wire outta the plug!!! .. some people say to press some tabs in on the terminal, but i cant even find em lol.. is there a trick to getting the wire out? or should i just chop the wire in half and connect it to a switch?

VS_Wagon_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 3 VT2 Berlina wagon
I recently bought a VT S2 gen 3 berlina wagon and unlike my vt acclaim, this has no trac control button to turn it on and off. If i pull the wire from the abs module and add a simple on/off switch between it this should do the same as the button that comes in most vt's, right? And it won't mess up the computer or anything turning it on and off will it?

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
nah dude a simple button wont hurt it, im not so sure about what will happen if you were to disable/enable it while the engine is running however..
As thats what im planning on doing, but i cannot for the life of me get the wire out!!! ARGH!!!

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
might be a stupid idea or not even possible but whats from stopping you actually using the traction control switch itself instead of installing another switch that way it will look 100% factory but in saying that im not sure if its just 2 wires that go to the traction button i would have to look if it is just two wires though be as simple as joining them two wires together then bringing the wire from the the above mentioned plug and conecting it to the tc button in the car and there you would have a very factory looking tc button that works with a permanent on or off

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
One traction cntrl system turned off in the morning,cheers.