Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil to buy now 10w 40 full syn Nulon is NLA?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've been using the Nulon 10w 40 fast flowing for a while now. It's really good oil and it was a really good price. On special I could pay $7.50 a litre or less. I just looked and no one has it anymore. Looking for a cost effective alternative that is a good as the Nulon gear. Penrite is great but it's never on a decent special in the 10w. Not going to switch to a 5w either as 10w works best in my engine.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Repco do deals on Penrite all the time here in Melbourne .. plus if you are a RACV member you get more off

just watch their site or the papers (Repco advertise regularly) or letterbox (*catalogue drop)

I checked... they have an Easter sale

1711681748109.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Repco are still the dearest place to buy oil locally even when on sale. I can buy Penrite 10w cheaper from Merv Gray than any of the specials I've seen in the retail stores, but I'd still like to find something at a better price. I've hopefully scored the last 10w 50 Nulon from Repco clearance stocks from up the coast.

5w Pen can often be bought at a decent special, just sucks the 10w is never on such a special. I've seen Vantage on a decent special but not sure if it is as good as there other 10w full syn?

If Penrite is the only decent option and probably at the next price bracket then I may have to switch and pay the extra. 10L are more economical per litre but last I knew 10w didn't come in a 10L.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I can buy Penrite 10w cheaper from Merv Gray than any of the specials I've seen in the retail stores, but I'd still like to find something at a better price.
Mate you’re buying good oil, not shopping at Kmart. It’s going to cost.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

I only use the Penrite HPR5 and in the great scheme of things the cost is neither here nor there. I pay about $1500 a year for insurance and $1200 a year for rego before I even turn a wheel so $150 or so once a year for an oil change is SFA.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I understand that, but if there are savings to be made why not? Should I not want to save a few dollars if I can? Or should I just pay what ever premium because at the end of the day an extra $150 a year is nothing in the scheme of things? I've used the Nulon gear because its as good as Penrite but I was able to get it half the price or less.

I will pay what I have to pay and won't buy Black & Gold from IGA. I asked the original question to see if there was any alternatives in the same league as I've been using at a similar price.

It's sounding like I will need to switch to Penrite 10w 50 and pay extra, as its sounding like there is no decent alternative the same quality of Nulon that comes on a decent special.

It seems like Nulon have stopped the 10w 40 line, as all they have now is the 5w 30/40.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I understand that, but if there are savings to be made why not? Should I not want to save a few dollars if I can? Or should I just pay what ever premium because at the end of the day an extra $150 a year is nothing in the scheme of things? I've used the Nulon gear because its as good as Penrite but I was able to get it half the price or less.
NULON really is not as good as Penrite... totally different they are.

NULON buys and then blends base oils of many types (and additives) from other manufacturers to make their oils you buy
(this has not changed since FUCHS bought them and is similar to what PENNZOIL do... blend oils to their requirements)
Penrite makes its own fully synthetic base oils

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
NULON really is not as good as Penrite... totally different they are.

NULON buys and then blends base oils of many types (and additives) from other manufacturers to make their oils you buy
(this has not changed since FUCHS bought them and is similar to what PENNZOIL do... blend oils to their requirements)
Penrite makes its own fully synthetic base oils

Even the full syn fast flowing? I was told by guys that build high end engines that the Nulon gear I've been using is really good gear.