Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Hey guys,

I’ve got a vt berlina, and I wanna know, regardless of legality, best fitment options for a relatively comfortable ride with kings SL’s (don’t mind some stiffness). Wheel and tyre size wise.

In other words, how wide can I go comfortably? And what wheel diameter size is best, looks wise. (don’t mind recalibrating the speedo).

Need new tyres soon, and I’d prefer to preserve the stock wheels and they’re in really good condition and I don’t have plans to sell the car now, especially at a considerable loss. Hence why I thought I may aswell put the sl’s I have to good use and put a nice set of wheels/tyres on as to best enjoy my car.

Thanks lads!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Sidewall is king for comfort, so a max of 17" rim

Mine at FE2 height (I have found that FE2 height is best for Sydney and country roads and suspension geometry, any lower and there is scrapping of the exhaust on speed humps

Pic was with SL King's in 2021

Screenshot_20240124-073155.png

Front: 17 x 8.5 +43 with 235/45 17 (105.75mm sidewall)

Rear: 17 x 9.5 +46 with 255/45 17 (102mm sidewall)

In saying this 275/40 17 fits the rear at FE2 height with the 17 x 9.5 +46 rim (110mm sidewall), 275/40 17 tyres that have been fitted on the rear are Toyo R888R and Mickey Thompson Street drag radials

I do have adjustable rear camber bushings to get the alignment right, both camber as well as toe, my car is a series 2 VX SS, and whilst the series 2 does have adjustable toe, there is no way to get good"street" alignment settings in relation to camber with the standard suspension adjustment when lowered a bit

If you don't get your alignment settings on point the tyres will wear out prematurely and it will also effect braking and handling

The alignment settings that work well "FOR ME" , and the tyres I use for street" (Hankook RS4), and that give best tyre wear are -1.5 front with a little toe in, and -0.5 rear with 0 toe

Disclaimer: whilst the car is around FE2 height it is now running Pedders extreme coil overs with standard sway bars, it did have SL king's at one stage of its life when I first got the wheels and tyre sizes stated above

If you want more comfort/compliance with King springs, you require more sidewall, so maybe look at smaller rims in a 15-16" size that will fit over your brakes (the spring rate on SL king's is pretty high, so you lose alot of compliance there)

Have fun in your search, try and test fit rim size and offsets if you can, with the tyre sizes you want to avoid possible issues or disappointment

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
20" tyres are horrible. Had a set on my VX Berlina when I bought it and they gave the worst ride I've ever experienced and they blow ridiculously easily. Plus, in my opinion, they look stupid. I have 15"s on my car now and I'm perfectly happy with them, but appearance-wise, to be honest, I like how 17"s look.

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Sidewall is king for comfort, so a max of 17" rim

Mine at FE2 height (I have found that FE2 height is best for Sydney and country roads and suspension geometry, any lower and there is scrapping of the exhaust on speed humps

Pic was with SL King's in 2021

View attachment 263272

Front: 17 x 8.5 +43 with 235/45 17 (105.75mm sidewall)

Rear: 17 x 9.5 +46 with 255/45 17 (102mm sidewall)

In saying this 275/40 17 fits the rear at FE2 height with the 17 x 9.5 +46 rim (110mm sidewall), 275/40 17 tyres that have been fitted on the rear are Toyo R888R and Mickey Thompson Street drag radials

I do have adjustable rear camber bushings to get the alignment right, both camber as well as toe, my car is a series 2 VX SS, and whilst the series 2 does have adjustable toe, there is no way to get good"street" alignment settings in relation to camber with the standard suspension adjustment when lowered a bit

If you don't get your alignment settings on point the tyres will wear out prematurely and it will also effect braking and handling

The alignment settings that work well "FOR ME" , and the tyres I use for street" (Hankook RS4), and that give best tyre wear are -1.5 front with a little toe in, and -0.5 rear with 0 toe

Disclaimer: whilst the car is around FE2 height it is now running Pedders extreme coil overs with standard sway bars, it did have SL king's at one stage of its life when I first got the wheels and tyre sizes stated above

If you want more comfort/compliance with King springs, you require more sidewall, so maybe look at smaller rims in a 15-16" size that will fit over your brakes (the spring rate on SL king's is pretty high, so you lose alot of compliance there)

Have fun in your search, try and test fit rim size and offsets if you can, with the tyre sizes you want to avoid possible issues or disappointment
I think based off what you’ve said, which I really fkn appreciate the detail you’ve gone into, which hopefully will help others later on, and what riffraff has said, I will probably not put anything bigger than 17/18s on mine.

Did the 255 and 235s rub at all now? Or when you had SLs, if you had those sizes then? Cheers

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I think based off what you’ve said, which I really fkn appreciate the detail you’ve gone into, which hopefully will help others later on, and what riffraff has said, I will probably not put anything bigger than 17/18s on mine.

Did the 255 and 235s rub at all now? Or when you had SLs, if you had those sizes then? Cheers
Never rubbed with SL even on full lock, don't rub with the Pedders, but both were the same hub to guard height, so nothing really changed

Also, the 275/40 17 Toyo R888R,s or the 275/40 17 Mickey Thompson's don't rub either

My ride height measured at centre of hub to guard

Pic for how you measure ride height, make sure you have the tape vertical

Front 360mm
17060739418935511620832454578586.jpg

Rear are also 360mm centre of hub to guard

Disregard the 5hity disc rotors, all 4 new ones have been ordered, and I'm "impatiently" waiting on there arrival

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Another tip for choosing wheel size is the ability to get the tyres you want

Not all brands may well have the "good" tyres in the size you want

If your not importing the tyres yourself make sure the tyres you want, in the sizes you want, are available locally

Typically 5hitty cheaper tyres carry most sizes, but, getting good tyres in the size you want can limit your choice in relation to tyre size and rim specs

Also, never sacrifice good camber settings to fit in tyres, or, go below or above the recommended tyre sizes for your wheel specs

Pro tip, but the best tyres you can afford, don't buy expensive wheels only to put cheap tyres on, it's the tyres that add performance

You will get better performance in traction, handling and braking with a slightly smaller width "good" tyre than a larger width 5hitty cheap tyre, both in wet and dry conditions

But, you still need to be aware of the different attributes of your tyres in both wet and dry conditions i.e. don't expect semi slicks to work well in wet or even dry conditions on a wet, dry, or when it's extremely cold

That is why I replaced the 275 R888R,s with 255 RS4,s, because whilst the R888R,s were awesome in the dry, they were rubbish in the wet doing street duties

Whilst the 255 RS4,s did give up some dry traction on the street, they outperform the 275 R888R,s on wet roads, by alot

Hence why I purchased another pair of Gold FR-1 17 x 9.5 +46 to put the 275/40 17 MT street radials on for fair weather "cruising" only, and when at the drags

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
17's are the go imo.

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2

If your not importing the tyres yourself make sure the tyres you want, in the sizes you want, are available locally

Typically 5hitty cheaper tyres carry most sizes, but, getting good tyres in the size you want can limit your choice in relation to tyre size and rim specs

Also, never sacrifice good camber settings to fit in tyres, or, go below or above the recommended tyre sizes for your wheel specs

Pro tip, but the best tyres you can afford, don't buy expensive wheels only to put cheap tyres on, it's the tyres that add performance

You will get better performance in traction, handling and braking with a slightly smaller width "good" tyre than a larger width 5hitty cheap tyre, both in wet and dry conditions

But, you still need to be aware of the different attributes of your tyres in both wet and dry conditions i.e. don't expect semi slicks to work well in wet or even dry conditions on a wet, dry, or when it's extremely cold

That is why I replaced the 275 R888R,s with 255 RS4,s, because whilst the R888R,s were awesome in the dry, they were rubbish in the wet doing street duties

Whilst the 255 RS4,s did give up some dry traction on the street, they outperform the 275 R888R,s on wet roads, by alot

Hence why I purchased another pair of Gold FR-1 17 x 9.5 +46 to put the 275/40 17 MT street radials on for fair weather "cruising" only, and when at the drags
Deadset, this is some of the best and most well given advice I’ve ever received on here. Genuinely, you’re stupidly smart lol. Thanks dude

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2

Last question I have, offset wise, what is good? Lol. I want clean, but safe fitment, since I’m going in a “nascar inspired” set up of smaller diameter Steelies, 16s probably, with decent sidewalls.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Never rubbed with SL even on full lock, don't rub with the Pedders, but both were the same hub to guard height, so nothing really changed

Also, the 275/40 17 Toyo R888R,s or the 275/40 17 Mickey Thompson's don't rub either

My ride height measured at centre of hub to guard

Pic for how you measure ride height, make sure you have the tape vertical

Front 360mmView attachment 263291

Rear are also 360mm centre of hub to guard

Disregard the 5hity disc rotors, all 4 new ones have been ordered, and I'm "impatiently" waiting on there arrival

I used to do it different the 7 years I spent in suspension.
We would get the tape and measure from the bottom of the rim, the rim, not the wheel (people call wheels rims) through the center cap and have the tape above the guard so you can move it back and forth a little to get the exact measurement.
the method you show is inferior as you can get over 5mm difference.