Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra Wheel Alignment?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is difficult with directional tyres....

You might get away with getting the tyres flipped on the rims....

Have you tried putting the front tyres on the rear?

Otherwise just put up with the drift they are causing...It won't cause wear issues...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Have you tried putting the front tyres on the rear?
That was the rotation ........ LR > LF and RR > RF.
Wear is about 50%, but I have 6, plus the 5 x RE001s, which should last until about the time that Australia gets to 100% renewable energy targets.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Did the problem arise before or after the rotation?

Tyre wear pattern....Has any of the front tyres got even slight edge wear....ie left front slightly on the outer shoulder or right front on the inner shoulder?

This can also cause a drift...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Did the problem arise before or after the rotation?
Don't really remember or know, it sorta developed slowly until I started thinking at some point that "This is annoying."

I have a tread depth gauge which I use to measure wear, and it is pretty uniform across all the tyres, no vast differences or feathering front or rear.
Just content at the moment that there does not seem to be a mechanical reason for it, that I have to urgently address.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
During my QLD trip a few weeks ago, I noticed that an old problem has risen again.

Braking lightly on long down hills runs, the steering wheel shimmy occurred again. But the drift to the left with another set of wheels/tyres was gone, as I wrote in posts above here.

After reading some members comments about run out on buckled wheels, I looked closely at the mounting of the VY Calais rims, which I discovered don’t seem to be mounting flush with hub. I can slide a piece of very thin cardboard down between the rim centre and the hub.
A straight edge across the hub mounting surfaces of both types of rims doesn't show any humps or other irregularities, and they are not buckled.

A highly technical examination of the rim centres with a steel rule, plastic SCA calipers, finger and Mk1 eyeball method has led me to believe that there are slight differences in the centre bore section of the AWD rims and the Calais rims, perhaps enough to not allow the Calais rims to sit flush on the hub by a micro poofteenth, and this may be causing a runout and brake shimmy.

If any other member has a Adventra or Cross6 or 8, and is using rims that are not original ......................... do you have a similar gap ?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sorry, can not help out, as I am running stock CX6 Rims.

The only issue I had originally, was the front disks were warped, and the steering vibrated when I applied the brakes,
I then purchased new rotors all round when I was getting ready for the RWC.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Swapped to Calais rims back for the OEM AWD rims. No more 1mm gap between the hub and rim inner faces.

With my primitive measuring devices, I could not find any difference between the two types of rims reference the depth of the centre bore, except the AWD rims have a 90degree machining where the centre caps fit, and the Calais rims have a 45degree tapered machining, and the lip which fits on the hub appears slightly different. All else seems identical.
Stuffed if I know why they had that gap.

Have decided that I no longer have any use for them, as I won't be putting them back on the Monaro or Cross6.
See ......... https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-calais-rims.295367/