Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra Wheel Alignment?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not having a go at you, but you reckon that the AWD Commodores, with different bits hanging off the front, different track, are the same as the RWDs.
I dunno, that is why I am asking about it.

No probs.....

I'm just mentioning, the specs are a broad guide....

The principal is, read the tyre, adjust the toe/camber accordingly to prevent it.

The drift you have maybe as a result of poor settings in this area, creating tyre wear, or maybe something like the radius rod bush being old, meaning the caster isn't where it should be....And caster not being adjustable from the factory and needing an aftermarket kit.

Anyway, best of luck with the alignment and post up the report after you have finished if there is an issue you have that needs solving... :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Cross6 and 8 will use the Adventra front specs. Of course rear is not adjustable.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Anyway, best of luck with the alignment and post up the report after you have finished if there is an issue you have that needs solving... :)

The place I took it to for the alignment learned something today .......... their recently installed Luke Skywalker, laser sighted, radar targeting wheel alignment thingys can't do a Crewman as the wheelbase is too long, and they can't fit the laser/radar barrels between the hoist posts. :D

Good news ....... had a real good look under it, nothing torn, hanging off or leaking.
Bad news .......... the front control arm bushes are looking a bit sad, but nothing urgent, and could explain the slight drift to the left. Tyre wear is OK.

It will be a Wunday job sometime in the next 6 months, as I have no Dead Dingo Creek explorations scheduled, apart from a Birdsville / Innamincka trip with mate to get his LandCruiser dusty, or muddy, next month.
As this job entails removing other bits, I am going have to save up my pensioners pennies to get it, and get the lot done at once, but not by me.
I am past skinned knuckles, but not bad language. Pedders, here I come ......... wallet full and bending over for your convenience.

Hmmm ........... I suppose that a quick 8Km return trip to Perth, (3days there and 3 days back) a quick Saturday arvo, and a slab for @Fu Manchu's knowledge, skinned knuckles and bad language is not really practical. ;)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Tell me to stick my nose out of it, or shut my gob, but alignment specs are a broad guide.....

You can put in what ever vehicle you want, it doesn't adjust the camber/caster/toe for it...It just gives a wide spectrum on where is a "factory guide" as acceptible for it to be set....

Tyre wear is the only true way to just how to set it and yes unfortunately it is a dying art....1 MM toe, 1/4 degree camber or 1/4 degree caster can mean the difference between it driving straight/ not wearing tyres....

Of course, do feel free to post up that I can shut my trap and not know what I'm saying.....Just posting up what I know, which mightn't be much.

All I can say,
is that the Adventra drives straight, tracks straight, and you can let the steering wheel go on a freeway, and its stays tracking straight.

Oops, I forgot to mention,
I have since then replaced the Front end Bushes to SuperPro (29/1/2023), and it's still tracking perfectly since that,
and the front end feels way firmer,
its a pleasure to drive it as my Daily car.

PS: I didn't get another Wheel Alignment after doing the Bushes.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Cross6 and 8 will use the Adventra front specs. Of course rear is not adjustable.

Mine has adjustable arms,
That not stock on Adventra's ?
1687146448035.png

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Cross8 and Cross6 have a live axle. No adjustment

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Whale oil beef hooked ! .......... In post 13, I commented on the difficulties of getting a Crewman alignment to correct a drift to the left fixed.

The tyres that I have are 225/55 x17 Pace which are directional. A couple of months ago I rotated them because of this drift, and nothing changed.
And, yes, I did put them on the right way around, so decided that it was alignment problem, but no abnormal wear.

Just swapped all the tyres to my spare set of 225/50x17 Bridgestone RE001s ............... drift gone. Straight as die.:oops:
So that seems to be 2 tyres that I have been using that don't track straight for some reason.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Whale oil beef hooked ! .......... In post 13, I commented on the difficulties of getting a Crewman alignment to correct a drift to the left fixed.

The tyres that I have are 225/55 x17 Pace which are directional. A couple of months ago I rotated them because of this drift, and nothing changed.
And, yes, I did put them on the right way around, so decided that it was alignment problem, but no abnormal wear.

Just swapped all the tyres to my spare set of 225/50x17 Bridgestone RE001s ............... drift gone. Straight as die.:oops:
So that seems to be 2 tyres that I have been using that don't track straight for some reason.

More common than people realise.....Glad you found it....Congrats.

And for those that need the technical term, it's called a radial pull....

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
The place I took it to for the alignment learned something today .......... their recently installed Luke Skywalker, laser sighted, radar targeting wheel alignment thingys can't do a Crewman as the wheelbase is too long, and they can't fit the laser/radar barrels between the hoist posts. :D

Good news ....... had a real good look under it, nothing torn, hanging off or leaking.
Bad news .......... the front control arm bushes are looking a bit sad, but nothing urgent, and could explain the slight drift to the left. Tyre wear is OK.

It will be a Wunday job sometime in the next 6 months, as I have no Dead Dingo Creek explorations scheduled, apart from a Birdsville / Innamincka trip with mate to get his LandCruiser dusty, or muddy, next month.
As this job entails removing other bits, I am going have to save up my pensioners pennies to get it, and get the lot done at once, but not by me.
I am past skinned knuckles, but not bad language. Pedders, here I come ......... wallet full and bending over for your convenience.

Hmmm ........... I suppose that a quick 8Km return trip to Perth, (3days there and 3 days back) a quick Saturday arvo, and a slab for @Fu Manchu's knowledge, skinned knuckles and bad language is not really practical. ;)
I have given him @Fu Manchu a bit of advice on how to remove the old bushes :D

He was a bit dirty on me, as it took him 3 days to remove the old ones, Bush remover kit, blood sweat and tears, clanging and banging, and swearing after hours firing the Neighbours up. :D
Whereas it took me under 1 hour to remove the old ones :D (after the control arms were removed);)
And "No Knuckles were injured in the removal"
Just a few stubbies emptied on completion !

That said, he would be the one to get it done by.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
And for those that need the technical term, it's called a radial pull....
So, what is the fix ?
Get them demounted, and refitted in direction ............. but I don't know which tyres are causing it.
Just ignore the directional rotation, put them on arse-about and hope it doesn't rain ?