Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Car not starting when warm

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
you can measure heat in watts also jst like electricity. If your starter is drawing 170+ amps and you lose say 3V across a loose connection you gonna create around 500watts of heat just out of that one little spot. When you think about how a little soldering iron is only about 20watts you can begin to get some perspective on it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I heared a rumour Stocky's car now goes fast! like it should have all along :D, seperate issue to this but it's almost worth having a a party for I think

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
rumour confirmed :p
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/1372795-post322.html

also the starting issues. its still doing it on and off. i gotta fiddle with the negative terminal a bit and sometimes it starts. maybe i have a dodgy terminal that needs replacing.

with the amount of heat that the smoke suggest has been there i'd be looking at replacing the negative terminal and possibly the cable as well.

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
Exact same issue with my Grange. When i say exact, I mean even down to the pumping the gas bit and it would sometimes start.

Everyone here gave me tips. But in the end it was the coolant temp sensor. Car would run rich and would pump to much fuel in while hot.

Around $30 from Holden.

Its nothing to do with the battery. With the amount of time you take to play with the battery the car would cool down. I thought it was the same thing.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
done plenty of driving tonight. not a single issue, so it mustve been the negative terminal

Mardy82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs gts
Got the same problem I put a new ignition module and a new dizzy but it has not fixed the problem.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
View attachment 197592 Hi, I had the exact same problem. The brown wire that attaches to the neg on the coil has a crimped eyelet connector.
The crimp had failed ( corrosion
of the wires etc).
I recrimped and soldered a new
connector and the problem was fixed).
Holden put the coil in such a stupid position behind the engine and its impossible to trouble shoot.
Best to relocate the coil onto the firewall as I did.

Last edited: