Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Car not starting when warm

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've been through 3 coils on two different cars (both 304's). First one physically melted - it cracked and oozed goo everywhere, the thing was smouldering and the car smelt like burning plastic, I'm glad it didn't catch anything on fire. The second one just stopped working. The third one started buzzing - it was so loud I could hear it from the drivers seat. Replaced that and the new one's buzzing too. Reckon it's time to go with a better brand.

More recently, the vs started randomly missing. Would do it once or twice a day, then would seem fine for ages. Parked it at the shops the other day and started it again and was missing heaps on idle and wasn't really driveable. I always keep a spare dizzy, ignition module and coil luckily. Replaced the ignition module (was so hot I couldn't touch it) and it's been perfect since.

Must've been in the failure process for quite some time. Seems that it mustve gradually lost power, but with the 'new' module it's incredibly responsive and doesn't need to drop down gears where it did before. Can't believe the difference.

I've relocated my coil too, but it's behind the drivers strut tower. Had it mounted on the firewall too but didn't like how it looked.