Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disabling the Telematics Module (Holden Assist)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
After doing a test for parasitic drain of the battery I've determined that the Telematics module
is the culprit, 0.132 amps when connected and 0.017 when disconnected.
I can't leave it disconnected because the car won't start without it.
Does anybody know if it is just a matter of disabling it with a Tech 2 or is it more involved than that?
Holden assist hasn't been working for many years anyway due to an expired SIM and it wasn't worth getting it operating again.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i believe the fuel pump is isolated if telematics is unplugged
i believe the bcm turns the fuel pump off if it doesnt receive command from telematics
i would suggest having a play with tech2

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
i believe the fuel pump is isolated if telematics is unplugged
i believe the bcm turns the fuel pump off if it doesnt receive command from telematics
i would suggest having a play with tech2
Thanks Lout. I had a feeling that it had something to do with the fuel supply because when I unplug the Telematics the car starts and dies straight away, similar to when the immobilser doesn't turn off.
Yesterday I called in to my Holden dealer to talk to a technician and told him that the car won't start with module unplugged. He was a younger guy who admitted he didn't know much about these things so he went to talk to someone else who should know. He came back and said that I should be able to unplug the module with out any issues. So I really am none the wiser.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
At the module find the fuel pump wires in an out, cut and join them together then leave the module unplugged. Have done this myself on a customers car, I did have a wiring diagram which made it easier to locate the correct wires. If you cant fix it by monday i could help you with the colours when i get to work and get a diagram.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
At the module find the fuel pump wires in an out, cut and join them together then leave the module unplugged. Have done this myself on a customers car, I did have a wiring diagram which made it easier to locate the correct wires. If you cant fix it by monday i could help you with the colours when i get to work and get a diagram.

Thank you very much for your help. If you could let me know which wires to cut and join I would be very grateful.
I have the very comprehensive Holden service CD which covers VT,VX,VU and WH. I covers the telematics and apparently has all the wiring diagrams but no matter which wiring diagram I click on, none of them open. I don't know what is going on with them, everything else works but the diagrams.
I've been studying the CD extensively for days and could not see any link between the Telematics and BCM or PCM so I had a feeling that maybe cutting and joining some wires might do the trick but I had no idea which ones.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've managed to access the wiring diagrams by using the actual CD and not the copy on my hard drive.
Now my problem is that I am hopeless at reading wiring diagrams unless they are relatively simple.
I can see the Fuel Pump Relay but I am still at a loss as to which two wires need to be cut and joined on
the connector to the Telematics module.
I have attached the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• 29a.pdf
    317.2 KB · Views: 735

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
nice work
connect the light grey wire position 25 to the grey/white wire position 12 will enable original fuel pump circuit
man that is tied into everything
it looks like telematics is not controlling anything else, just a secondary trigger
looks like YB178 plug connector is a simple bypass plug on each line

Last edited:

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
It would appear to be pins 25 and 12 on the telematics module which appear to be coloured LG which I'm assuming is Light Green and GW which I'm assuming is Green/White but that's just from my electronics technician background not from experience with this actual module.
I see I may have assumed incorrectly the colour coding but got the pins right :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you Lout and Aussie Trev, I do appreciate your help. Unfortunately that did not work, engine cuts out immediately after starting.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Success. At first I could not see the numbers of the pins so I went with light grey/grey and white. Then I noticed there were numbers on the 4 corners of the plug 1 and 13 top, 14 and 26 bottom which enabled me to work out the pin numbers.
Turns out it was light green/green and white.
Thanks again Lout, Aussie Trev and Axe Murderer who told me about the fuel pump relay in the first place.
I can relax now.