Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] EFI Conversion

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
3k on the current motor will probably net better performance then a standard 5ltr.
Also consider a T5 conversion. MUCH better gearbox...

You can get kits from CRS to fit a ford 6cyl t5 (like a $250 gearbox) that comes with the clutch flywheel, bellhousing and all the bits you need to fit it to a trimatic patterned block (like yours) for about $1600.
The closer ratio's will transform your car alone, that and once you start upping the herbs from the motor, the M20 wont last long.
Extra gear ratio will also help with the fuel economy difference between EFI and the carb.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
3k on the current motor will probably net better performance then a standard 5ltr.
Also consider a T5 conversion. MUCH better gearbox...

You can get kits from CRS to fit a ford 6cyl t5 (like a $250 gearbox) that comes with the clutch flywheel, bellhousing and all the bits you need to fit it to a trimatic patterned block (like yours) for about $1600.
The closer ratio's will transform your car alone, that and once you start upping the herbs from the motor, the M20 wont last long.
Extra gear ratio will also help with the fuel economy difference between EFI and the carb.

yeah the m20 is pretty useless to be honest. some form of 5 speed conversion is high up my priority list. i dont like how the engine revs at 2000rpm in 4th gear at only 65kmh. i hate to think how hard it would be working at 100kmh on the freeway. i think a t5 conversion would be one of the first 'performance' modifications i will be making to the car.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, frankly I think that's the go before you bother with any engine mods.
You'll probably find the better ratio's make it feel alot more lively anyway. In 5th at 100km/h with a 3.08:1 diff (which you most probably have) it should sit on around 1500rpm.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
yeah i have a 3.08:1 although the previous owner said hes got a 3.45 lsd i can have for free, hopefully pick that up from him soon

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
yeah IF you are sticking with a carb'd 308 and IF you want to put a decent cam in, then i would highly recommend fitting diff gears first. but you should be looking at what cam you want to go for before just getting any old gear.

yeah, i want to find out what cam i have currently. stupid question: is there an 'easy' way of finding out what cam the car has?? also ari, i have taken some photos of the rochester for you, just trying to find my damn phone cable so i can upload them for you. wasnt sure which side of the cabry you wanted to see so i took photos from 4 different angles