Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how reliable is a L98 vz ss thunder engine? and how to make it more reliable?

05vzcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore
Hi everyone, i'm currently looking at a 06 vz ss thunder as a daily and i've been trying to find post and forums that tell you or show you recommended upgrades for a l98 motor and haven't had the easiest time. the motor does have slight lifter tick on start up and if your idealing for a fair couple of minutes it starts ticking but the owner has said that a new oil pump 18% volume would do the job, has about 270,000k's on it. any advice on what parts i should look into to try and make the motor last longer? / make it more reliable then what it currently is. cheers everyonje

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Walk away.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
it will need lifters replaced
which usually leads to a cam and a tune

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
why's that?

If the lifters are worn out it may have damaged the cam. If the cam has been damaged then it will be very exi to repair as you will need cam bearings, mains and conrod bearings. At minimum it's heads off. Then if you have the heads off you might as well freshen the valves up. It will need valve springs and trunnions also.

Unless it's the bargain of the century best keep on walking.

05vzcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore
If the lifters are worn out it may have damaged the cam. If the cam has been damaged then it will be very exi to repair as you will need cam bearings, mains and conrod bearings.

Unless it's the bargain of the century best keep on walking.
na its not a bargen its about 20k

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
na its not a bargen its about 20k
Well, if the engine didn't need work it would be about a $15k ute. Since it needs work you have at least $5k to spend on the engine soon as you buy it. Then you might find you need to spend $2k-$3k on the suspension.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Didn't mention that at 270k if they have not been done already, it will need a rear main plate, it will probably need a sump gasket, and most likely a crank seal. For those things alone you are looking at least another $2k.

If considering it, you want to get it for a lot less than $20k for an old VZ Thunder.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BTW I don't mean to sound like Negative Nancy but the car you are considering has expensive problems that you know about before you even exchange hands.

05vzcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore
Didn't mention that at 270k if they have not been done already, it will need a rear main plate, it will probably need a sump gasket, and most likely a crank seal. For those things alone you are looking at least another $2k.

If considering it, you want to get it for a lot less than $20k for an old VZ Thunder.
thanks mate, you have given me a lot of very usefull information i appreicate it, say if the rear main plate, sum gasket, and crank seal have all been done within the past 10,000 odd k' and that the lifter tick hasnt caused any camshaft damage or bearing damage
BTW I don't mean to sound like Negative Nancy but the car you are considering has expensive problems that you know about before you even exchange hands.
yeah, i've got the car booked in for a pre inspection to be done on the car friday this week, and now i will also let the inspector know about the problems it currently has and see if he can check it all out, yeah depending on what the inspector comes back with. if it needs more the 3k in fixes i will probably pass on the car. this is the hard part about second hand cars. ive always wanted a vz ss thunder ever since i was little and use to have one until it got written off due to a drunk drive. and now their almost impossible to find without major problems. any suggestion on where i should look for one if this can turns out to be a bust? cheers again for all the information mate