Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Fob/Dashcam

Shannon955i

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 HOLDEN COMMODORE SV6 BLACK PACK VFII MY16
so its not going to be a coil effect or wire placement
Moved the coil to the front and no different. I thought I coiled it up at the rear but was sitting just above back passenger light. Your right not sure if I read your message properly but seems like the camera itself. When the rear is unplugged the key fob works as normal. Contacted Viofo and they said they will send some type of magnetic ring that may help resolve the issue.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Moved the coil to the front and no different. I thought I coiled it up at the rear but was sitting just above back passenger light. Your right not sure if I read your message properly but seems like the camera itself. When the rear is unplugged the key fob works as normal. Contacted Viofo and they said they will send some type of magnetic ring that may help resolve the issue.

i am wondering if the camera is broadcasting the wifi ap while in parking mode and if it is i would test if disabling the wifi on the camera makes a difference.

for it to effect the keyfob radio range the camera must be emitting something to mess with the 433mhz band the keyfob operates on.
radio signals tend to mess with each other when a higher power or stronger signal is closer to a target object so something as simple as a wifi access point being broadcast from within the vehicle could screw with your keyfob signal 50 meters away.
the rear camera cable could be acting as a wifi antenna amplifying the issue.

its worth testing anyway because it wasnt that long ago where a faulty doorbell caused people to have issues unlocking their vehicles lol
in perth someone was using a cellphone signal repeater that caused a lot of people to have issues unlocking their vehicles.

so strong signals or ones on the right frequency will mess with your ability to unlock a vehicle

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@Shannon955i I'm still not convinced that all you've done is move the issue from one place to another , what you should have tried is to stretch your cable straight so there is no coil at all , Because you have had advice to put the cable along the floor, this maybe puts the issue bellow any receivers rather than creating a shield above .
I posted a thread on that website i linked and someone posted a reply saying that Viofo had started using coax cables with serialized communication for this reason.
this is the thread on Dashcam Talk

Last edited:

Shannon955i

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Shannon955i I'm still not convinced that all you've done is move the issue from one place to another , what you should have tried is to stretch your cable straight so there is no coil at all , Because you have had advice to put the cable along the floor, this maybe puts the issue bellow any receivers rather than creating a shield above .
I posted a thread on that website i linked and someone posted a reply saying that Viofo had started using coax cables with serialized communication for this reason.
this is the thread on Dashcam Talk
kleanphil the cable is about 6 meters long. To stretch it out will have to go under like you say but what is the process with that? Just looking it seems like it will be so much harder to run it along the the floor and then still have to have to go up into the roof lining to run it into the tailgate.

Thanks for doing that post. Much appreciated

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
kleanphil the cable is about 6 meters long. To stretch it out will have to go under like you say but what is the process with that? Just looking it seems like it will be so much harder to run it along the the floor and then still have to have to go up into the roof lining to run it into the tailgate.

Thanks for doing that post. Much appreciated
What i mean is to take it out the door and put it out on the drive way , this is just to eliminate any possibility that the coil is responsible, running it along the floor isnt hard, just run it under the plastic trim at the bottom of the doors then tuck it behind the trim in the rear pillar

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
This is Wiki about Ferrite Beads which is what i imagine Viofo will send you

Shannon955i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has to be the actual rear camera. Disconnected it at the rear camera this time and not from the front one and range goes back to normal.

Sorry should of checked this earlier

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Well to be honest , i dont think it would matter, if its not connected to the camera then its not creating a signal either way
EDIT: I don't like to go against anything Stooge say cos he knows his sh1t

Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
EDIT: I don't like to go against anything Stooge say cos he knows his sh1t
feel free to because this one has me confused and i am only guessing, i would have thought the blackvue would be the same kind of setup but it does not create this issue and you have posted links to show its an issue with that particular camera :oops:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Has to be the actual rear camera. Disconnected it at the rear camera this time and not from the front one and range goes back to normal.

Sorry should of checked this earlier

feel free to because this one has me confused and i am only guessing, i would have thought the blackvue would be the same kind of setup but it does not create this issue and you have posted links to show its an issue with that particular camera :oops:
After reading the wiki on ferrite beads it seems to make sense as they are designed to cut down electronic signal , Blackvue may use coaxle cables which by design block electronic signals which is my understanding, i have seen these ferrite things (didn't know what they were) on some cables but from memory can't remember if they were on the hard wire kit or the rear camera cable