Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

ralcool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 M5
also, you can succesfully remove the eprom from the memcal without removing the knock board. Just lean it to one end slightly with slight pressure.

Using a AT29C256 is the best way to go, Replace that annoying old UV chip. You will pay a fortune to buy an eraser, and your old chip won't hold the new larger VR/VS code :) or run dual VN type programs with a select wire.

These are some of the easy options availble to youse grass hopper.

The modification options available in programs like TunerPro v4 RT, keep our old Delcos in the 21st century.

Who can program motorola code... I need to hack the old V6 chip to extract the 'LPG' mode to put in my V8 chip. I am still learning to decompile my rom.. and slowly getting it. 'LPG mode' disables BLM learn, and shuts off the injectors, and I believe the pump. One wire gets added to the ecm.. it has spares.

Then WideBand 02...... 2bar VE table ......DIS ignition.....it never ends....arrgggghh.

Sean

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Sean I'm going to learn some more next time I'm off work for a few weeks, learning the assembly is on my list and getting a memcal setup for 2 bar or using another 2 bar gm computer in the VN

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
ralcool said:
A nice upgrade, but youwon't be able to use 8192aldl unless you buy the US spec model of our 1227808 the '1227165', or buy an expensive, but local VR/VS '082 computer. (why!)

Ive got 8192 ALDL on my '808 :D

ralcool said:
Who can program motorola code... I need to hack the old V6 chip to extract the 'LPG' mode to put in my V8 chip. I am still learning to decompile my rom.. and slowly getting it. 'LPG mode' disables BLM learn, and shuts off the injectors, and I believe the pump. One wire gets added to the ecm.. it has spares.

How far into the hack are you?? If you havnt started yet Ive got a disassembled BBMM.bin (it re-compiles back to the original bin), hardly any comments though, PM me if you want it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
VL400, can I steal the 8192 baud parts from a VR Auto computer and put them in my 808? just wondering, I guess I can run the VR Auto computer in a VN with a little rewiring anyway?

ralcool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 M5
Just spend $A50 bucks on ebay, and buy the US spec computer.

Search for 1227165..here's a few to get ya started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...ryZ33596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/86-89-ECM-122716...33596QQitemZ8012749450QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I attempted to convert my '808, (and I chip other 'stuff') but wasn't worth the hassle.

I scored a reconditioned '165 from a Chevy Blazer. Pop in the aussie memcal and plug it in. (Also the '165 has a long case like the VR computer.. but the circuit board is IDENTICAL to the '808 plus another chip {U2} and a few resisters and capacitors, so I swapped the cases too)

You only need this if you want high speed aldl. And you do.
VR V8 manual computers, i've seen selling for $A350-500.....crazy.
It's simply a surface mount version of the old computer.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yup I knew the 165 was an option, but thought If I'm going to order a ecu from the states it may as well be the 2 bar 1227749 since I plan to turbo my car one day.

I'm just not sure how big of a problem that would be to wire up

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
greenfoam said:
VL400, can I steal the 8192 baud parts from a VR Auto computer and put them in my 808? just wondering, I guess I can run the VR Auto computer in a VN with a little rewiring anyway?

Unless your a wizz at soldering then its unlikely, without a proper desoldering station its would be next to impossible.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If anyone has no fear and wants to test drive a V8 memcal for me here is one : ), I don't have a V8 car so it's a bit of guesswork but the theory is there. There is no Knock sensor, no Oxygen sensor and it is Open loop, Use the $5D 1277808 ecu file to check it out, if anyone sees any problems let me know :p, maybe it's a bit rich through the mid range at WOT but it should still make good power

Attachments

• Foam_racing_OL_NOkn_NOo2_VNV8.zip
    9 KB · Views: 338

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Here's another one to have a look at and test if you're game :p, it's a VR memcal with lean cruise enabled and converted to run in a VN V8

Attachments

• Foam_Racing_VNV8_lean_cruise.zip
    16.4 KB · Views: 301

ralcool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 M5
Greenfoam, I am sure you have the best of intentions.

But I really don't think you should be posting up your modified memcals.

You can learn a bucket with your own car- despite being a V6.

A lot of people have made it as far as you, a nice copy of TunerPro free, and the $5D or $12 definition files. But the guesswork like this, doesn't help anybody go to the next step.

If folks wanna make changes, they- like you, should attempt to understand WHAT they're changing, and have the ability to MONITOR the results.

This is the stuff you should find, and learn to use. dataLogging is everything.

That VR code you made is HSV based- has it's knock sensor disabled, and increased timing! What are you trying to do? Burn the pistons! This should have been almost stock, not this crazy abomination.

PS The VR Code won't fit the VN/VP memcal due to the EPROM being too small. You have to upgrade it to a 256k chip first.

Please consider. I'm not trying to be rude- in fact, I hope you understand. Perhaps I might write a FAQ to answer the many many questions even I still have, and others seek.

Sean

Last edited: