Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My ZB 2L Diesel Turbo Issues after 120k km.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Have not been having a good innings with my ZB 2l Diesel in the last 6 months. More issues creeping up since it clocked 120k km mileage.

a) 125 k km: Aircon compressor leakage (repaired under warranty but 3 weeks without A/C back in March 22).

b) 128 k km: Throttle positioning sensor (TPS) failing. Same day replacement of sensor but needed to take car in for the day (repaired under warranty).

c) 134k km: Lost power to engine - stuck in carpark driveway middle of the night whilst waiting for tow truck (annoying - 4 hours). Tow truck was paid for thru Holden roadside assist. Camshaft belt was found to have come loose - suspect the belt was not affixed properly by the workshop during the 120k km new belt replacement exercise. Had to replace belt, vacuum pump and many nuts and bolts etc. Also got pistons checked for damage etc. Car was in the workshop for 3 weeks (waiting for parts and GM special equipment to access the engine areas etc) . Repaired under warranty. Car running fine thereafter.

In between all these, there were 2 service recalls, both relating to software updates (i) on DPF sensor overheating and (ii) brake boost vacuum thingy.

Do not get me wrong, it is still an excellent car to drive. Just very annoying of not knowing when the next gremlin is going to show up.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Have not been having a good innings with my ZB 2l Diesel in the last 6 months. More issues creeping up since it clocked 120k km mileage.

a) 125 k km: Aircon compressor leakage (repaired under warranty but 3 weeks without A/C back in March 22).

b) 128 k km: Throttle positioning sensor (TPS) failing. Same day replacement of sensor but needed to take car in for the day (repaired under warranty).

c) 134k km: Lost power to engine - stuck in carpark driveway middle of the night whilst waiting for tow truck (annoying - 4 hours). Tow truck was paid for thru Holden roadside assist. Camshaft belt was found to have come loose - suspect the belt was not affixed properly by the workshop during the 120k km new belt replacement exercise. Had to replace belt, vacuum pump and many nuts and bolts etc. Also got pistons checked for damage etc. Car was in the workshop for 3 weeks (waiting for parts and GM special equipment to access the engine areas etc) . Repaired under warranty. Car running fine thereafter.

In between all these, there were 2 service recalls, both relating to software updates (i) on DPF sensor overheating and (ii) brake boost vacuum thingy.

Do not get me wrong, it is still an excellent car to drive. Just very annoying of not knowing when the next gremlin is going to show up.
Mate if bad luck comes in threes you should be right for a while now.

Reactions: Lex

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
As of Nov 1, 2023, I have done 200,000 km on my ZB 2l Diesel. Not much issue since my last report in Aug 22, only noted these:

a) 145,000 km: Rear seat-belt sensor playing up (shows someone buckling up at the rear when there was no one). The problem is, Holden has yet to get the parts to get this fixed. I have been waiting since Dec 22 - it has been 10 mths since. They send me a fortnightly update (of saying nothing).

b) 155,000 km: Coolant reservoir was leaking (apparently there was a crack). Had the whole reservoir replaced under warranty.

c) 157,000 km: Aircon hose leak and replaced under warranty.

d) 162,000 km: Front LHS differential leak (again) and repaired under warranty. This would be the 2nd time it has happened on the same side.

That is about it. Still happy with the car.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So you'll be offloading it prior to warranty expiry ?