Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning An LS1 Build

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes depending on what boost ur wanting they still can be around 3-5psi or so down low or more and build from there, but that psi still makes a difference and might be fine, and same for the up top by 5-6k rpm u could be in the 15-20psi and that is going to need traction to keep in control also (not sure of your total wanted boost levels) personally i like the BTR range of cams as he thinks about the style of power each boost makes and how to get that into/out of the engine,

like the centri blowers build boost with rpm so to make better low end u can have a bit of overlap which helps the torque down lower but it also sacrifices a little up top but that dosnt matter as ur making more boost up there so it evens out, same with the PD blowers that make max boost instantly so u dont need any overlap for low end torque but they do run out up top so the less overlap extends the torque range higher helping those out up top,

if u have a stall u can decide on a wider range of cams as the stall will flash thru most of the low end issues and have it meet up with the torque range in the camshaft,

are u staying petrol or going flex or e85 ?

this below is what pushing the stock LS1 can do with the centri blower

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ah, right.

I was of the understanding a centrifugal supercharger doesn't add much down low; needs some RPM. That's why I thought that gearing would be fine. But I also thought along those lines with choosing a cam. However, you mentioned I may do better with a cam that has a longer duration. Then, another part of the mix is the torque converter (@3600RPM).

I'm new to this world, but the planning of this build has taken a shape that's making sense to me. What am I missing (in how I'm looking at this)?

thanks...
What car?

From my experience with a VX SS series 2 sedan look at upgrading your rear bushes, I used inserts for ease of installation, the rears cradle on them moves around, alot, I put inserts in the cradle mounts, and the diff mount, the difference was night and day, but, because I used inserts, there is still some compliance for street duties

Look at upgrading front bushings as well if required

Put some though into your suspension geometry as well, 90% of the time going to low will cause camber, toe, bumpsteer issues

Make sure your tailshaft and couplers/centre bearings/uni's are good

Look at your cooling, radiator, trans and what intercooler will give you the best efficiency and reliability

I would look at pistons, rods and bearings for 600atwhp, that's "around" 800hp at the engine, give or take for a safety factor

I'm at 500hpatw (600hp ish at the engine) with a HTV2300 LS1, that is my "safe" limit on a stock bottom end LS1

Built it right, built it once

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
yes depending on what boost ur wanting they still can be around 3-5psi or so down low or more and build from there, but that psi still makes a difference and might be fine, and same for the up top by 5-6k rpm u could be in the 15-20psi and that is going to need traction to keep in control also (not sure of your total wanted boost levels) personally i like the BTR range of cams as he thinks about the style of power each boost makes and how to get that into/out of the engine,

like the centri blowers build boost with rpm so to make better low end u can have a bit of overlap which helps the torque down lower but it also sacrifices a little up top but that dosnt matter as ur making more boost up there so it evens out, same with the PD blowers that make max boost instantly so u dont need any overlap for low end torque but they do run out up top so the less overlap extends the torque range higher helping those out up top,

if u have a stall u can decide on a wider range of cams as the stall will flash thru most of the low end issues and have it meet up with the torque range in the camshaft,

are u staying petrol or going flex or e85 ?

this below is what pushing the stock LS1 can do with the centri blower

Yes, I have taken notice of the BTR cams. I hear what you’re saying about traction up top.

Interesting what you’re saying about both supercharger types, in regards cam overlap. But on that: in what direction do I head in terms of determining overlap, especially in consideration with the other cam specs?

I was unaware of how the stall factors into cam selection specs. At a basic level, how are we to arrive at a decision on the two? Do we play around with specs, moving between cam & stall? Or decide on one (say, cam), and match up the other (say, stall) to meet the goal?

E85 has only recently come to my attention. As far as an option, I don’t know enough yet to understand what sort of an option it is (meaning, what running E85 can do; what else needs to change and why; and how to actually come to a decision).

I’ll take a look at that video.

Thanks…

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
What car?

From my experience with a VX SS series 2 sedan look at upgrading your rear bushes, I used inserts for ease of installation, the rears cradle on them moves around, alot, I put inserts in the cradle mounts, and the diff mount, the difference was night and day, but, because I used inserts, there is still some compliance for street duties

Look at upgrading front bushings as well if required

Put some though into your suspension geometry as well, 90% of the time going to low will cause camber, toe, bumpsteer issues

Make sure your tailshaft and couplers/centre bearings/uni's are good

Look at your cooling, radiator, trans and what intercooler will give you the best efficiency and reliability

I would look at pistons, rods and bearings for 600atwhp, that's "around" 800hp at the engine, give or take for a safety factor

I'm at 500hpatw (600hp ish at the engine) with a HTV2300 LS1, that is my "safe" limit on a stock bottom end LS1

Built it right, built it once
“What car?” Just scroll back thru the thread for a summary of the build.

“Rear bushes” etc.:

Yes, although I didn’t include it here in the summary, the suspension and everything related to bushings and mounts comprise part of the plan. But I haven’t heard of “inserts.” Interesting.

As far as overall suspension goes, have lowered the car with new springs and struts all-round. Not ridiculously low.

And yes, addressing “tailshaft and couplers/centre bearings/uni's.” So far, in good order, but I do have new driveshafts to fit when the DIFF’s being done

COOLING:

Yes, have a trans cooler to fit (when the trans is renovated). With the supercharger, will be adding an intercooler (but not decided on yet).

And same with “pistons, rods and bearings:” Still working on that one. In fact, it’s what I started this Post with.

Thanks for the insights, matey…

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yes, I have taken notice of the BTR cams. I hear what you’re saying about traction up top.

Interesting what you’re saying about both supercharger types, in regards cam overlap. But on that: in what direction do I head in terms of determining overlap, especially in consideration with the other cam specs?

I was unaware of how the stall factors into cam selection specs. At a basic level, how are we to arrive at a decision on the two? Do we play around with specs, moving between cam & stall? Or decide on one (say, cam), and match up the other (say, stall) to meet the goal?

E85 has only recently come to my attention. As far as an option, I don’t know enough yet to understand what sort of an option it is (meaning, what running E85 can do; what else needs to change and why; and how to actually come to a decision).

I’ll take a look at that video.

Thanks…
if ur looking at the BTR cams for centri blowers the stages pretty much the higher the stage the higher in the rpm they are designed for and also more boost, if u just want to run about the 10psi or 15psi or 20+psi that all changes the camshaft if u want to get the max out of it, if u just want a good streeter then the stage 1 or 2 will be fine, its a bit hard to say exactly what and how much overlap will do as it depends on all other valve events and boost and chamber in the heads,

the purpose of the stall is to keep the engine in the power band it works in when a larger camshaft with a less efficient low rpm is fitted, work out camshaft first and use cam specs to talk to trans builder to suit the stall to it

e85 is more power but also needs more fuel so injectors and pumps and flex sensor so u can go between petrol and ethanol, if u want to keep it simple then stay on petrol and suit the build to it, once u have camshaft worked out then suit the compression to the intake close event (dynamic compression is key) keep static comp above 10.1 for an efficient burn, if u were on ethanol all the time u can bump compression up a little as it loves it typical LS on boost ethanol gains about 50-100hp over petrol

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
“What car?” Just scroll back thru the thread for a summary of the build.

“Rear bushes” etc.:

Yes, although I didn’t include it here in the summary, the suspension and everything related to bushings and mounts comprise part of the plan. But I haven’t heard of “inserts.” Interesting.

As far as overall suspension goes, have lowered the car with new springs and struts all-round. Not ridiculously low.

And yes, addressing “tailshaft and couplers/centre bearings/uni's.” So far, in good order, but I do have new driveshafts to fit when the DIFF’s being done

COOLING:

Yes, have a trans cooler to fit (when the trans is renovated). With the supercharger, will be adding an intercooler (but not decided on yet).

And same with “pistons, rods and bearings:” Still working on that one. In fact, it’s what I started this Post with.

Thanks for the insights, matey…
https://superpro.com.au/find/superp...003-wh-/productnr-SPF0840K/cid-999502099/vid-

Image.jpeg-1.jpg

https://superpro.com.au/find/superp...003-wh-/productnr-SPF4170K/cid-999502099/vid-

Image.jpeg.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
if ur looking at the BTR cams for centri blowers the stages pretty much the higher the stage the higher in the rpm they are designed for and also more boost, if u just want to run about the 10psi or 15psi or 20+psi that all changes the camshaft if u want to get the max out of it, if u just want a good streeter then the stage 1 or 2 will be fine, its a bit hard to say exactly what and how much overlap will do as it depends on all other valve events and boost and chamber in the heads,

the purpose of the stall is to keep the engine in the power band it works in when a larger camshaft with a less efficient low rpm is fitted, work out camshaft first and use cam specs to talk to trans builder to suit the stall to it

e85 is more power but also needs more fuel so injectors and pumps and flex sensor so u can go between petrol and ethanol, if u want to keep it simple then stay on petrol and suit the build to it, once u have camshaft worked out then suit the compression to the intake close event (dynamic compression is key) keep static comp above 10.1 for an efficient burn, if u were on ethanol all the time u can bump compression up a little as it loves it typical LS on boost ethanol gains about 50-100hp over petrol
Thanks for the breakdown on the stall. Looks like it’s worth spending the time learning more about E85 cos that’s a helluva difference for a boosted LS.

When you’re talking about compression, what are we doing to adjust it/maintain it? I guess I’m asking what considerations factor in to compression.

Really appreciating your feedback. So helpful.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Tim will probably tell you this anyway but a Raptor won't suit a build as you've described. They are great for stock but the second you increase chamber, stroke and/or cam for boost the LS will eat it up like its a mild sea breeze on a summers day without much in return. Great blowers but they don't have the velocity for a built LS

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
Tim will probably tell you this anyway but a Raptor won't suit a build as you've described. They are great for stock but the second you increase chamber, stroke and/or cam for boost the LS will eat it up like its a mild sea breeze on a summers day without much in return. Great blowers but they don't have the velocity for a built LS
Wow! Now that's interesting. I expect to hear back from Tim today. What you've raised, has yet to come up in conversation. But I'll be sure to bring it up now.

If you've a moment, care to give me a brief on what you mean and why ("the LS will eat it up..." and "they don't have the velocity for a built LS.")? Thanks muchly...