Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline Manual post attempted theft issue

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It looks like the same menace that has hit the Chevrolet SS(Commodore VF) owners in the US has arrived here. Have a look at SSforums.com. If you know what to look for, a few hundred dollar can purchase an OBD device to quickly code a new key the any GM car with the Global A architecture, including our VF Commodores. It is literally gone in sixty seconds. Keeping the car out of sight and secure, a couple of theft deterrents on the car and tracking devices may help.
It'd be a bummer if their OBD device didn't work properly!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It'd be a bummer if their OBD device protocols didn't work properly!
Hmm, would a hidden switch in your car that grounds the CAN and Lin bus lines through resistors be an effective anti theft device?
Guess it would be hard to start or reprogam the car if CAN and/or Lin bus doesn't work :p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Hm, would a hidden switch in your car that grounds the CAN and Lin bus lines through resistors be an effective anti theft device?
Guess it would be hard to start or reprogam the car if CAN and/or Lin bus doesn't work :p

It’ll probably be hard to unlock too! (And hard to lock as well). :)

But the idea does have merit, but you’d probably need a seperate remote control so you can lock the car then disable the CAN buses. Unless, the (mechanical) switch is accessible externally?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It’ll probably be hard to unlock too! (And hard to lock as well). :)
The physical key should still work on the drivers door... though clearing the communication DTC's may be a PITA, or may even cause other issues, not sure :rolleyes:

But that brings up one pet hate with my VF, it has no boot key lock that one can use to easily open the boot if the battery goes flat. It's something that I solved with a direct wired and fused connection from the trailer plug (electric brake pin) to the battery positiv terminal. Works nicely with my Ctek charger but that means it's ready for some miscreant to try and take since it's always charged and ready to go.

Really, I'd have prefered a physical boot lock so i can disconnect the battery from the car when not driving it, lock it up and then connect the CTek charger to keep the battery maintained (in car) as i do today.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hmm, would a hidden switch in your car that grounds the CAN and Lin bus lines through resistors be an effective anti theft device?

you would need to be creative about it because doing things on the can may cause the whole system to freak out so while grounding a data line might seem like a possible avenue to take it may cause issues for the system while running.

having a dummy obd port with something a bit like the usbkiller would ruin their day lol

one simple method would be to create a patch cable and remove the obd port, use a nonstandard plug on the vehicle so you can still connect the patch cable with the obd port on the end of it to use the obd like normal but keep it out of the vehicle when not needed.

if they are smart enough they could still create something to get it working but that would require knowledge of the wiring and time.

you could go deep into the loom and use all black wiring like we used to do many moons ago installing immobilizers, ahh memories lol.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've only heard this, so it may not be 100% correct, but if you're dumping a body in the sea make sure you give it plenty if stab wounds. Apparently it helps to stop them from resurfacing. Oh, and don't wrap them in plastic.
I heard going out to sea and nicking them so blood flows, creates a feeding frenzy for sharks.

Also heard pigs eat everything, bar hair. Takes about 10 minutes to devour a body

Of course this was at the pub, when everyone was pissed, so there mightn't be any truth to it

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
one simple method would be to create a patch cable and remove the obd port,
Finding the OBD port missing will aggravate them. I think it's better if they don't suspect a supplementary security measure has been fitted.

If they plug their device in and it lights up as normal but won't communicate with the vehicle, they'll likely think their device isn't working, failed or isn't compatible with the model variant and not waste their time trying to work it out. I don't think beyond the OBD port, they'll be too cleaver, and they're also pushed for time.

Should only take one wire to interrupt with a switch back in the harness to stop their device communicating with the vehicle and prevent them reprogramming another key.