Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline Manual post attempted theft issue

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when everything these days is electronically controlled u need to take a step back into the physical/mechanical world to stop/slow them, easy enough to put a hidden switch for the fuel pump fuse in the boot or even take the fuse out overnight, anything along those lines will deter them as they are computer minded soon as it dosnt start they wont know what to do mechanically,
least the VE still needed a key so an added layer, and wasnt proximity operational vf all u have to do is mimic a key is close and the car is yours u can open and start it

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Finding the OBD port missing will aggravate them. I think it's better if they don't suspect a supplementary security measure has been fitted.

true.
i suppose you could make a dummy patch cable with the v+ and v- still in place but none of the data lines connected.

i preferer to just use the gtkpro for onsite, over the last few years 6 utes have gone missing but none of ours have gone.
toyota utes seem to be their favorite.

least the VE still needed a key so an added layer

yes but now you can buy all of the lock picking tools really cheap and watch tutorials on how to pick pretty much any lock.
you could learn in a few minutes how to pick the lock on the front door of your house in about 15~30 seconds.
steering(club) locks get done in about 10 seconds, same with hitch locks on trailers.

most of the locks and security devices around us just give the illusion of security but can be defeated pretty quickly.

pretty much every vehicle made in the last 20 years with electronic security is no longer secure and they were warned years ago from security researchers that what they were using had massive holes but they didnt care and now the vehicle owners are going to pay the price.

the stuff we are witnessing here now with the obd attacks has been going on in europe for years.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also heard pigs eat everything, bar hair. Takes about 10 minutes to devour a body
In Tasmania we use Tasmanian Devils. I mean I've heard that Tasmanian Devils will eat everything, apparently not teeth though. So best thing to do is go back the next day and throw the teeth down a mine shaft.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll also let you in on some information, 90% of Tasmanians own a chain saw, yet only 15% of the population now have wood heaters. Strange that.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
when everything these days is electronically controlled u need to take a step back into the physical/mechanical world to stop/slow them, easy enough to put a hidden switch for the fuel pump fuse in the boot or even take the fuse out overnight, anything along those lines will deter them as they are computer minded soon as it dosnt start they wont know what to do mechanically,
least the VE still needed a key so an added layer, and wasnt proximity operational vf all u have to do is mimic a key is close and the car is yours u can open and start it
A company I worked for installed a hidden switch for the power wire to the fuel pump, in all the company cars. It was wired to/from the cable run under the sill cover. (EL Falcons/Fairmonts). Made it hard for an opportunistic thief.
It meant you had to push the hidden switch with one hand whilst turning the ignition key with the other. (what a pain in the arse if you forgot again to push the switch and wondered why the car wouldn't run).
After a few of these events, the switch was bypassed ;)

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
The physical key should still work on the drivers door... though clearing the communication DTC's may be a PITA, or may even cause other issues, not sure :rolleyes:

But that brings up one pet hate with my VF, it has no boot key lock that one can use to easily open the boot if the battery goes flat. It's something that I solved with a direct wired and fused connection from the trailer plug (electric brake pin) to the battery positiv terminal. Works nicely with my Ctek charger but that means it's ready for some miscreant to try and take since it's always charged and ready to go.

Really, I'd have prefered a physical boot lock so i can disconnect the battery from the car when not driving it, lock it up and then connect the CTek charger to keep the battery maintained (in car) as i do today.
The cheap **** OBD2 device I bought from Amazon and used once did exactly that. Flashed up "service power steering" etc etc. Tried to start car - nothing except comms messages on the dash. Removed device, car worked.
Luckily my other scan tool (somewhat better device) cleared the multitude of DTCs.
Lesson learned for me, but in my rapid process of getting a refund I never thought of using it as an anti-theft device.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
A company I worked for installed a hidden switch for the power wire to the fuel pump, in all the company cars. It was wired to/from the cable run under the sill cover. (EL Falcons/Fairmonts). Made it hard for an opportunistic thief.
It meant you had to push the hidden switch with one hand whilst turning the ignition key with the other. (what a pain in the arse if you forgot again to push the switch and wondered why the car wouldn't run).
After a few of these events, the switch was bypassed ;)
i did that to a mates car just a simple micro switch hidden u had to press whilst cranking was in a VL so got to make that a little harder, yea its mainly for these new day robbers that are a quick snatch n grab they dont like to be sitting round too long diagnosing things, the longer a thief is stationary the chance of being done multiplies, but in the end we have to assume if it is stolen it wont go too far so may be retrievable, if its gone tho then u will prob see it on the news and burnt out, or the smarter lazy thieves just hire a flatbed and drive around picking up cars