Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission slip. Camshaft code P0016 and P0018

Jess93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytech
Hey there guys and gals I am needing some advice on an issue with my 2007 VE commodore engine number LE0072820012. Ok so the issue is what I think is the transmission but I want to make sure before spending that kind of money that it's not an issue which can be brought on by a camshaft sensor.

Ok so my cars gears 3 and 4 are not existant it changes smoothly from 1-2 but when I hit third it's like it's in neutral. I used my OBD2 scanner to scan for codes (Check engine light is on) I got back with the codes P0016 (the camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft) and P0018 (Camshaft sensor A for bank 2 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

My main question is could the camshaft issues cause those transmission issues? I'm thinking it certainly could but I'm no mechanic and I would like to hear what others think.

Thanks heaps in advance fellow Holden lovers

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
How much oil is on the dip stick?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Those codes can be worn chains, sprokets and guides they can also be oil pressure issues. The engine malfuction indication lamp should be illuminated which can put these into limp mode which would explain only getting to 2nd gear.

Jess93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytech
Thank you for that. I will be taking it in to a mechanic. This issue is definitely beyond my knowledge and abilities. Thanks again

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hey there guys and gals I am needing some advice on an issue with my 2007 VE commodore engine number LE0072820012. Ok so the issue is what I think is the transmission but I want to make sure before spending that kind of money that it's not an issue which can be brought on by a camshaft sensor.

Ok so my cars gears 3 and 4 are not existant it changes smoothly from 1-2 but when I hit third it's like it's in neutral. I used my OBD2 scanner to scan for codes (Check engine light is on) I got back with the codes P0016 (the camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft) and P0018 (Camshaft sensor A for bank 2 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

My main question is could the camshaft issues cause those transmission issues? I'm thinking it certainly could but I'm no mechanic and I would like to hear what others think.

Thanks heaps in advance fellow Holden lovers
These series of Ve were know to have time chain stretch (only V6) and they are unfortually expensive to repair. All because of Sludge in the Engine cause by poor oil changes (longer periods before changing the oil, and Cheap oil) and the blocked PCV valve that allow that drive side bank to sludge up. When it come to the PCV it does not cost a cent to fix the issue, all needed is to drill out the holes and the problem is fixed and people did not know this and this alone allowed tyhe engine to sludge up and presto it cost about $3,000 to change the chains. I know of one person than spend this to fix his timing chain issue and the Mechanic did not touch the PCV valve and how did I know this ? Weeks later I took the PCV out it was 100% blocked so I drilled it clean it and its good now.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
These series of Ve were know to have time chain stretch (only V6) and they are unfortually expensive to repair. All because of Sludge in the Engine cause by poor oil changes (longer periods before changing the oil, and Cheap oil) and the blocked PCV valve that allow that drive side bank to sludge up. When it come to the PCV it does not cost a cent to fix the issue, all needed is to drill out the holes and the problem is fixed and people did not know this and this alone allowed tyhe engine to sludge up and presto it cost about $3,000 to change the chains. I know of one person than spend this to fix his timing chain issue and the Mechanic did not touch the PCV valve and how did I know this ? Weeks later I took the PCV out it was 100% blocked so I drilled it clean it and its good now.
This is true to an extent but only one issue. The chains don't stretch. Most VE commodores have the revised PCV and rocker cover but still suffer chain wear. One engine builder I use puts it down to too much tensioner pressure and there is a kit out there that has gaskets that limit pressure to the tensioners. Also the engine needs the highest quality oil for its 15k intervals most people use a semi syn and expect 15k intervals when 10k is the absolute max with semi syns.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
For me I will always do oil change before 8000 ks and never got to 8000 k's in one year for 20 years on any car. For many years I only drive about 5 to 6,000k's a year and I have 4 cars to use so that around 2000 each for a full year but somtime I might drive around 1000 k's on one car for a year (good Weather) and my Shopping car gets most use because the other CARS are banned to go to a Shopping Centre or driving them when It rains..

Yes I'm Paranoid.

Last edited: