Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune worth it?

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
I had a vcm dyno tune done on my stock VZ alloytec you wont gain a lot in KW with the alloytec but you will pick up a **** load of torque

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I had a vcm dyno tune done on my stock VZ alloytec you wont gain a lot in KW with the alloytec but you will pick up a **** load of torque
down with that :)

listen_to_slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
pk2k78 is on the money i saw it on the street wogadors website. don't shoot the messenger haha, maybe we could all get that 180rwkw if we get aftermarket computers but i guess any improvement on the stock power/torque figures is a plus.

vz 914, how much more torque did you pick up? does the car feel a whole lot different? or in everyday driving is it about as noticable as a k&n filter as opposed to a stock filter

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
OK, the tune is done by downloading the stock tune off your ecu then retuning it and reloading it onto the factory ecu using a program called VCM. they have a website. this sort of tuning has to be done on a dyno.

what do they mainly change. cam timing, the alloytec runs very very rich from factory. i had a dyno run done on my ve sv6 before it was tuned and it was running around 11:1 air fuel ratio across the rev range dropped to 10.5:1 at 5500+ rpm.

they tune the cam timing to allow as much air in as possible to get the afr to the magic 12.5:1 afr which is considered the idea ratio for petrol combustion engines. as for the otr's they are out for the vz and give very good results. i read on ls1.com.au that they got 180rwkw out of a 190 hi output motor not a 175kw one.

if your in sydney i highly recommend castle hill exhaust they are getting 210-215rwhp out of the 190/195kw motors STOCK no mods and around 225rwhp with a exhaust and hi flow filter.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
i read on ls1.com.au that they got 180rwkw out of a 190 hi output motor not a 175kw one.

if your in sydney i highly recommend castle hill exhaust they are getting 210-215rwhp out of the 190/195kw motors STOCK no mods and around 225rwhp with a exhaust and hi flow filter.

Do you mean 180rwHP not kw, there is no way that a motor producing 190kw a the fly makes 180rwkw from a tune alone...

Not having a go but why would it matter if castle hill are getting that stock, anyone should be able to get that?

Last edited:

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
thanks for the info. can't wait to get a tune :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK, the tune is done by downloading the stock tune off your ecu then retuning it and reloading it onto the factory ecu using a program called VCM. they have a website. this sort of tuning has to be done on a dyno.

what do they mainly change. cam timing, the alloytec runs very very rich from factory. i had a dyno run done on my ve sv6 before it was tuned and it was running around 11:1 air fuel ratio across the rev range dropped to 10.5:1 at 5500+ rpm.

they tune the cam timing to allow as much air in as possible to get the afr to the magic 12.5:1 afr which is considered the idea ratio for petrol combustion engines. as for the otr's they are out for the vz and give very good results. i read on ls1.com.au that they got 180rwkw out of a 190 hi output motor not a 175kw one.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you read the hole post you clearly see i was talking about the otr fitted 190motor producing 180rwkw. where did i say stock? also it's bta motorsport that are producting otr's at the moment, for the vz. che have one too i think.

Do you mean 180rwHP not kw, there is no way that a motor producing 190kw a the fly makes 180rwkw from a tune alone...

Not having a go but why would it matter if castle hill are getting that stock, anyone should be able to get that?

cause all tuners aren't created equal. ok kid?

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
as for the otr's they are out for the vz and give very good results. i read on ls1.com.au that they got 180rwkw out of a 190 hi output motor not a 175kw one.

if you read the hole post you clearly see i was talking about the otr fitted 190motor producing 180rwkw. where did i say stock? also it's bta motorsport that are producting otr's at the moment, for the vz. che have one too i think.
cause all tuners aren't created equal. ok kid?

DIRECTLY from castle hills alloytec development from LS1:

Well after a lot of R&D we are proud to offer the following packages,

Cat Back exhaust
custom single exhaust, not too loud, but a great note, we tired over a dozen different exhaust combos till we settled with this one, this makes the most power and has the best sound.
$550,
Time required, 2.5 hours

Full exhaust Package
3-1 headers,
stainless substructure cats
custom single cat back system
$1900
Time required, 1 full day
Power increase 5-10rwhp

Tune package,
custom dyno tune to suit your Alloytec Engine, Note this is not a simple reflash with a tune from another car, each tune is custom done to suit your engine and exhaust setup on our inhouse Dyno Dynamics Dyno
$990
Power increase 20-25rwhp

Exhaust and tune package
full exhaust system and custom tune
$2800
Time Required 1-1.5 days
Power increase 30-35rwhp

here it is,
VZ SV6
98 octane unleaded
stock exhaust
extra hole in air box,

stock 188.1HP (converted to KW = 140.2)
after tune 212.9HP!!
a gain on 24.8HP!

here is the dyno sheet
sv61.jpg

Clearly says HP, thats where i was coming from... kid

Stock: 188.1HP / 140.3KW
Tune: Power increase 20-25rwhp = 208.1HP / 155KW
Tune and exhaust: Power increase 30-35rwhp = 218.1HP / 162.6KW

There is no way on this earth that a OTR and a tune on a v6 can jump from stock 188.1HP / 140.3KW to
as for the otr's they are out for the vz and give very good results. i read on ls1.com.au that they got 180rwkw / 241.9HP out of a 190 hi output motor not a 175kw one.

Why tuners always quote v6 power in HP and v8 in KW ill never know... :bang:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
OUCH, i've come across some dumb people in my life but you are exceptionally simple.

First off, i recommended Castle Hill Exhaust cause i have been very happy with their service.

Second of all if you READ my FING post you poor fool, you'd realise that i state it BTA MOTORSPORT that claim the 180rwkw figure with an OTR not CHE.

if you need any more help with this just ask little fella.

DIRECTLY from castle hills alloytec development from LS1:

Well after a lot of R&D we are proud to offer the following packages,

Cat Back exhaust
custom single exhaust, not too loud, but a great note, we tired over a dozen different exhaust combos till we settled with this one, this makes the most power and has the best sound.
$550,
Time required, 2.5 hours

Full exhaust Package
3-1 headers,
stainless substructure cats
custom single cat back system
$1900
Power increase 5-10rwhp

Tune package,
custom dyno tune to suit your Alloytec Engine, Note this is not a simple reflash with a tune from another car, each tune is custom done to suit your engine and exhaust setup on our inhouse Dyno Dynamics Dyno
$990
Power increase 20-25rwhp

Exhaust and tune package
full exhaust system and custom tune
$2800
Time Required 1-1.5 days
Power increase 30-35rwhp

here it is,
VZ SV6
98 octane unleaded
stock exhaust
extra hole in air box,

stock 188.1HP (converted to KW = 140.2)
after tune 212.9HP!!
a gain on 24.8HP!

here is the dyno sheet
sv61.jpg

Clearly says HP, thats where i was coming from... kid

Stock: 188.1HP / 140.3KW
Tune: Power increase 20-25rwhp = 208.1HP / 155KW
Tune and exhaust: Power increase 30-35rwhp = 218.1HP / 162.6KW

There is no way on this earth that a OTR and a tune on a v6 can jump from stock 188.1HP / 140.3KW to

Why tuners always quote v6 power in HP and v8 in KW ill never know... :bang: