Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ cranks but doesnt start

Curly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore Allytech 190kwh
View attachment 193650 My VZ R8 cranked but no start. Cut a long story short, ended up being the dark grey starter RELAY in the fuse box under the bonnet. I only noticed it because two of the faces on it had 'burnt' marks. I had to crank it a few times with the accelerator to the floor ( to burn all the petrol in the cylinder from the constant cranking)
i have three *burnt* looking relays in the car atm... they all work fine? does it really have an effect on its starting?

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
As long as it starts alright u should be fine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Yeah our 04 SVZ does the same ,if it sit's around too long, very hard to start. I call the Battery company thinking it was low on crank speed
The battery guy battery was fine, then told me the same the thing. Oil runs out the lifter and we have no compression so you just got to keep cranking until the oil has returned to active them
So he left me a good size second battery to keep it cranking over !! Took 3 hours then finally it started
It done this twice now
what can cause the oil to run back from the lifters ??
So I realise this is from 2017, but hoping someone can give us a hand... What's the best way to get things rolling again? Fella said "3 hours", but I'm guessing that it wasn't continuous cranking

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
sounds like a "Powertrain interface module" failure?

Check ebay first!
Guessing an entire module has failed is absolutely no way to diagnose faults. It’s like having a headache and someone saying to cut the patients head off.

Module replacement is the very last resort and should be based on data, not guesses.