Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Q&A

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ex cop cars aren't all bad, Yes they might look a bit more tired body wise but they are always serviced and been driven hard isn't bad for the engine unless it has been abused and I don't think cops spend much time limiter bashing etc. A engine that is driven constantly is better than a grandma spec car that has low km's but is full of sludge....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Dual batteries is a dead giveaway that it's ex cop.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ex cop cars aren't all bad, Yes they might look a bit more tired body wise but they are always serviced and been driven hard isn't bad for the engine unless it has been abused and I don't think cops spend much time limiter bashing etc. A engine that is driven constantly is better than a grandma spec car that has low km's but is full of sludge....

I had my ex-cop for nearly 19 years. It had 292,xxx kms on it when I sold it last year and had no issues that any other VS didn't have. In fact there were many isssues that others had that mine didn't have.

Owners manual is the dead giveaway.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

yes they are well maintained , and serviced , with very strict health and safety rules , any little fault that gets logged and reported on police vehicles , mean they sent straight to the dealership to be repaired , they do get driven quite hard at times, often for short periods , very few have not seen any panel damage or curbed rims .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

and a bigger alternator , when I joined the NZ police , we were a few of the AU Falcons in use still , they had an embarrassing problem of the batteries going dead when the blues and reds were left on , the Commodores you could leave everything on, and they'd start first time .

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
On the Commos all the Police accessories run off the second battery so the primary stays charged.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Don't assume that it's only the engine or transmission that might suffer in police use.

One of my responsibilities whilst working with the police during my last year's was oversighting the maintenance and repair costs of our command's fleet.

We received a bill one day for repairs to a HWP car. The repairs included transmission Cross member and lower rear control arm and various other chassis/suspension components. I can't recall the cost but it was well over a grand just for parts.

I contacted the dealer to clarify the details and they still had the crossmember. I picked it up and examined it. It was alloy and totally lunched. We made inquiries from the HWP sergeant who told me the car had been damaged during a pursuit.

The HWP car was parked in a side street. A car drove through an RBT site without stopping. The Police took off after him, making a hard RH turn to do so from the side street. He had accelerated so hard as he turned that he veered across two lanes and over the median strip, screwing a number of critical and expensive components in the process, but continuing the pursuit.

It wasn't the only time we had incidents like this. Sure, they get fixed and regularly serviced, but they get flogged by some uniformed tools, too.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They cop a hiding alright, constantly driven over kerbs and islands. Front subframes cop hits as does the exhaust. Rear lower control arms as well.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Does the LGX use e39 ECU?
That supercharger barely fits Longditudinally in a Camaro, no chance in the transverse ZB, right?