Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI/Memcal Tuning Questions from new user

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
you mean the bellmouth? i took mine out and my readings dropped from 11 psi to 8-9psi

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Bellmouth

Can't really see it making any difference as the throttle is the biggest restriction and its first in line. Haven't got anything to replace it with anyhow.. :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
hmm yeah but its normally a good idea to remove it when running boost. most people think that anyway. you dont need to replace it with anything, just take it out and make sure the gaskets are still good. wonder if that could push you below 5 seconds haha. you can also modify the bellmouth, so it distributes the air a bit more evenly to the cylinders, and improve flow a bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I took the bellmouth out and cut then filed it out so the original bellmouth is just a spacer now lol.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Will investigate these bellmouth possibilities during the week.

Meanwhile I thought I'd post this link to a video of my car running as people seem to think the SC14's are far too loud. As my throttle body is in front of the blower I would have to disagree with this.

For best viewing results use high quality speakers with decent bass response!

To give you an idea on the overall volume, its not any louder than stock unless your at WOT. WOT does not occur in the video.

Stig's Quiet SC14 Demonstration

L8r

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Well you have your Gtech times with it in so it cant hurt to take it out and see the difference, you have been getting alot of good launches 0-60 is pretty good and only running 6psi, the bell mouth might be restricting it and not giving you so much wheel spin off the line, also with the T/B infront of the charger would be helping to, so you can only pull it out and see if it does any good, if not put it back in, but when you intercool it and get more boost just leave it out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
wow sounds just like a standard n/a V6. what sort of exhaust you got. sounds to quiet for my liking. if i revved mine like that you would here the zorst crackle&pop etc (i guess thats what no CAT and straight through mufflers do:D )

love the orange coupling you have used. you can see exactly when it starts to boost:thumbsup:

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
Zorst n Stuff

wow sounds just like a standard n/a V6. what sort of exhaust you got. sounds to quiet for my liking. if i revved mine like that you would here the zorst crackle&pop etc (i guess thats what no CAT and straight through mufflers do:D )

love the orange coupling you have used. you can see exactly when it starts to boost:thumbsup:

The Zorst:

Pacemaker competition headers (PH-5029), 1 ⅝" (41mm) Primaries, 2 ¼" (57mm) Twin outlet.

Custom fit Y joint, Hi-Flow 2.5" Cat, Redback Single Pipe 2.5" Dual Muffler Cat Back system.

As for the orange coupling pipe, I will be sorry to see that go when I fit the intercooler, it gives the whole thing a bit of an organic look/feel. :D

L8r

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i know everybody says that the CAT doesn't effect sound or performance but i'm sure it's got to do something. mine doens't really sound like any of the vids people have put up. even a gutted CAT would sound different to a straight bit of pipe.

still it's a good ride, you sould be breaking that magic 5 sec bracket soon

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Bellmouth Debate Rages On...

Well you have your Gtech times with it in so it cant hurt to take it out and see the difference, you have been getting alot of good launches 0-60 is pretty good and only running 6psi, the bell mouth might be restricting it and not giving you so much wheel spin off the line, also with the T/B infront of the charger would be helping to, so you can only pull it out and see if it does any good, if not put it back in, but when you intercool it and get more boost just leave it out.

I am pretty sure that my launches are due to the condition of the rubber on the car, coupled with the TB position. That said, I can still light them up off the line too easily. I am thinking of buying a set of Yokohama Advan AO48 see attached. :D I will need a cheap set of 17x8 rims to stick them on though. If anyone has a set PM me, gutter rash is fine.

I am still not convinced that bellmouth removal is a good idea.

As I understand it the primary function of the bellmouth is to distribute air evenly to all cylinders. Running 6psi non intercooled makes even distribution far more important. If the back pots go lean then there will be higher risk of detonation.

One could argue that as we are talking about boost conditions that the flow should be evenly distributed without the bellmouth. Afterall, in a static system pressure would be distributed evenly all throughout the manifold. But the key here is the term "static system". What is going on inside the manifold is anything but static. Everything is moving all the time. The blower is not delivering a continuous flow of air, its wrapped up into nice little packets of high pressure. And the engine doesnt consume a continuous flow either. It uses packets too, what happens to those high pressure packets inbetween delivery into the manifold and exit into a combustion chamber is anyone's guess.

The bottom line is, not many people know exactly what is going on in the manifold and there is a lot of "seat of the pants engineering" going on with the bellmouth modification especially. I include myself in those that don't know for sure what the distribution of air is like inside the manifold, and as such I feel more comfortable with the idea that the air is entering the manifold in a more central position with the bellmouth installed. To me, more central means more even distribution, and for an engine to be operating at a reliable peak that's got to be a good thing.

As for the bellmouth causing a restriction, I have a 6 psi pulley and for the torque band of the engine that is what my map sensor is reading, 6psi of boost. I don't expect any more, or less.

At a stretch I might pull the bellmouth out measure its crossectional area and compare it to that of the trottlebody, but I think it would be an accademic excercise, I can't see it being smaller than the TB.

L8r

Attachments

• pic_advantyre.jpg
    pic_advantyre.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 199