Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passing suspension defect with blocks/spacers in suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Haven't school holidays ended and kids now have classes to attend and homework to do now?

Maybe this thread is part of their homework....ie what can I use and get away with... :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In ACT it would pass, in VIC obviously the govco has stupid ruels.
What are the rules in ACT?
NSW it has to have 100mm ground-clearance, and I thought that was a match for the federal NCOP rules when it came to mods as well. Despite how it looks, our standard car isn't much above the minimum legal height ... I suspect I might be able to make some lowering legal by getting the exhaust hung on shorter rubber hangers, but our car goes to shopping centres so it's not worth the hassle of blocking out access to any places with speed-bumps ...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What are the rules in ACT?
NSW it has to have 100mm ground-clearance, and I thought that was a match for the federal NCOP rules when it came to mods as well. Despite how it looks, our standard car isn't much above the minimum legal height ... I suspect I might be able to make some lowering legal by getting the exhaust hung on shorter rubber hangers, but our car goes to shopping centres so it's not worth the hassle of blocking out access to any places with speed-bumps ...

I think you'll find those are the old ruels.
Like Nev said here in the ACT we use similar to SA.
It's based off eyebrow height, and bumpstop clearance.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think you'll find those are the old ruels.
How old?
This says 100mm, was published late 2016 & I can't see anything that superseded it: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi32ebX7KmEAxUK-jgGHQMvDdIQFnoECCQQAQ&url=https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-02/RMS-infosheet-light-vehicle-modifications-manual-suspension-and-ride-height.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1AYU_RjCjXxMeRwZs8wG6e&opi=89978449

A fixed minimum makes at least some sense to me, unless they're going to go all nutso-bananas detailed (& nightmarey) about approach & departure angles ... I mean bumpstop clearance might make sense in terms of how much change to allow, but if a car has 5mm ground clearance with 500mm of bump-stop clearance that's pretty dangerous to have driving around the roads.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Last I knew spacers of any kind won't pass, not even urethane spacers. This is in Tasmania and we have the most relaxed rules of any state.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Last I knew spacers of any kind won't pass, not even urethane spacers. This is in Tasmania and we have the most relaxed rules of any state.
The state of NZ is even more relaxed. Just (allegedly) pick the right testing station/workshop and these mods will be OK.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
When I was a youngen, I learnt to change the exhaust on my HX Ute from the extractors back, from a dual system with two hotdogs to a single with a factory muffler in about 20 minutes.

Defect off, loud exhaust back on, all in one morning.
I did the same a few times on my HQ Monaro until I discovered the hot dogs were the issue and if used oval mufflers almost as loud, they'd pass the exhaust. This got me into using Lukey mufflers to avoid swapping the exhaust to get a defect notice removed.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This says 100mm, was published late 2016 & I can't see anything that superseded it:
I think the 100mm rule is standard for all vehicles but in SA, they don't run a height gauge under a low VF to determine a pass or fail. It's solely eyebrow height compliance with their specs for a particular make and model. VF eyebrow height is 400mm and they allow 15mm lower at 385mm. Pretty well rules out any lowered King Springs as the tallest of the lowered springs start at 380mm.
Then save your cash for a set of height adjustable coilovers.
Coilovers or adjustable spring platforms are illegal in SA unless it's an OEM accessory like the M Performance coilover kits BMW supply for some models. You can get an engineer's certification for coilover's but the spring platforms have to be spot welded to eliminate adjustability.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think the 100mm rule is standard for all vehicles but in SA, they don't run a height gauge under a low VF to determine a pass or fail. It's solely eyebrow height compliance with their specs for a particular make and model. VF eyebrow height is 400mm and they allow 15mm lower at 385mm. Pretty well rules out any lowered King Springs as the tallest of the lowered springs start at 380mm.

Coilovers or adjustable spring platforms are illegal in SA unless it's an OEM accessory like the M Performance coilover kits BMW supply for some models. You can get an engineer's certification for coilover's but the spring platforms have to be spot welded to eliminate adjustability.

In ACT coilovers are allowed as long as the company that produces them complies to ADR so basically only Pedders and MCA ect.
But the bump stop height needs to be one third of original which basically raises the car to near SS height.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
In ACT coilovers are allowed as long as the company that produces them complies to ADR so basically only Pedders and MCA ect.
But the bump stop height needs to be one third of original which basically raises the car to near SS height.
How do they prevent the likelihood of someone screwing the spring platforms down and reducing the bump stop clearance? That's why SA requires them to be spot welded along with engineering compliance at a particular eyebrow height. I don't think the Supashock coil overs fitted to the HSV GTSR W1 are height adjustable for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.