Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passing suspension defect with blocks/spacers in suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not true here, minor defects are removed at vicroads if the defect item has been fixed.

Majors need proper inseption by authorised mechanic

Cops put the defect sticker on for you to go to an inspection station for them to determine whether it is roadworthy or not.

The majority of us, fix the issue the cops claim is unroadworthy before fronting and get the sticker removed....

And yes, S.A has the system where something minor like a bald tyre would be sent to the cop shop to be looked at, where as a car they claim is too low is sent to an inspection station to be checked out....And the majority of people raise the car prior to the trip to the inspection station, like you would do in your state

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, I know a few with radically modified cars registered at rural addresses where Regency can be avoided for defect removal. SA can't suspend rego on interstate registered vehicles either. A defect notice on an interstate registered car doesn't show up on the cops SA data system roadside if you scrape the defect notice off.

They do go for a full inspection in the Riverland (not sure about other rural areas), but they aren't as anal as Regency....

Got rellies up that way and a couple have had the full inspection done....

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
When we had the lockdowns and curfews in Vic, the coppers were issuing 10x the number of roadworthy defects than non-pandemic times...

Nice little earner for the govt. $444 fine to the driver (no licence points), and $44 charge from VicRoads to 'authorize the driver to be able to remove the yellow defect notice'...

Whether the car was actually roadworthy or not.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I will just add, because I think it was losh that mentioned ACT.
We are the only state/territory that actually leases the police force off the AFP.
Currently the local police hate the government, so they couldn't care less about collecting money for them.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Who at VicRoads makes that determination … how does that work? Does it have to be a simple enough mod that Mabel behind the counter can tell it’s no longer there, or does VicRoads still have some offices/locations with inspectors, or … ?

Pretty much. if the minor defect notice says bald tyres, Mable comes out and checks them, if tread is legal, pay your fee and defect cleared.

Same with too low, she brings out the height bar, runs it under the car, if it doesn't hit, it's cleared.

If it's classed as major, it'll list 3 or more things and you need a vacc accredited mechanic.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
When I was 18, I received a defect (yellow canary) for a cracked rego sticker on the windscreen.

The dealer I bought the car from had put it on without using a damp sponge to properly remove the gum that was used to slide the sticker on the screen (the old guys will know what I mean) and the gum dried and cracked the sticker in a crow's foot type of pattern.

The Cops said the sticker was illegible and therefore needed replacing.

I was pretty dumb in those days, and with my memory as it is now, I think I've almost completed the full circle, but looking back I can't stop feeling it was the burnout I did in front of the Cop Shop for a dare, that most likely attracted their attention.

I also got fined for 'Undue Noise - Manner Operated', but no defect for the noisy exhaust.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can I just take out the spring and put a log in its place?

I could photo copy a picture of a spring and wrap it around the log.

1707909420098.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When i was 17 the local copper defected my 68 Capri. I was on Main South Rd Myponga and was belting around a corner with two mates and copper was crawling along after an earlier accident. I came too close to his liking. He didn't even go over the car looking for defects. He knew the car, and just got his book out and started writing. I remember he run out of room on the page so he started writing defects on the bottom of the page. Needless to say it was a Regency job so it never got lifted.

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Pretty much. if the minor defect notice says bald tyres, Mable comes out and checks them, if tread is legal, pay your fee and defect cleared.

Same with too low, she brings out the height bar, runs it under the car, if it doesn't hit, it's cleared.
I worked at Vicroads for 6 months. It was pretty annoying when there is a very clear defect still on the car that I have to put my name to as being clear. But Mable has no idea on the mechanical workings of the car and makes you clear it anyway.

Then there's were the times where multiple Mables are arguing over the defect when they haven’t even looked at the car. That leads to the all honourable Mable, head of customer service centre to decide to get vehicle standards in Melbourne involved. “Look, your going to be claered. But pull your car back into the carpark mate and head to the cafe next door. Its going to take these twats a bit to figure out they should listen to the one with practical experience”

If it's classed as major, it'll list 3 or more things and you need a vacc accredited mechanic.
Vicroads licensed vehicle tester. Not everyone whos apart of VACC can issue roadworthys.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
When I was 18, I received a defect (yellow canary) for a cracked rego sticker on the windscreen.
Just after they canned the trailer rego disc in SA, I was towing a race car trailer leaving West Wyalong in NSW and got pulled over in an RBT stop. Cop asks me where's the trailer rego disc and told him SA discontinued them and he didn't believe me. I sat there for an hour and 10 minutes while they messed around confirming the trailer was registered and that it didn't require the rego disc.

I'm at an RBT stop but never blew in the breatho as they were too interested in the trailer rego, unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.