Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning An LS1 Build

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's very unlikely you'll need multi tune with the right build and tuner. All the mods you've described leave you with a fun but mild build that will turn from streetable to angry with the tune in your foot

The stock ECU is more than capable. When you start pushing 800hp/1000nm on a flex platform you might wanna upgrade the silicone

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Sadly my computer/tuning Kung Fu is non-existent

I'm lucky to be able to use forums

My go to is: Me talking to workshop - "how much money do you need to make what I want happen, OK, make it happen, where do I swipe"

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
u can have thousands of tune files for the stock ecu and just keep one for the track and flash it in, then flash back in a normal driving tune when u finish, u could even have one for track on a 25 deg day with a bit of adjustment to timing for the track and another for say a 10 deg day and so forth, same with trans if u want to dial in the shifting better just for the track
Well, isn’t that handy!

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
It's very unlikely you'll need multi tune with the right build and tuner. All the mods you've described leave you with a fun but mild build that will turn from streetable to angry with the tune in your foot

The stock ECU is more than capable. When you start pushing 800hp/1000nm on a flex platform you might wanna upgrade the silicone
“Fun but mild” . Thanks for the input on the ECU. Good to know I don’t have to look at that for a while.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
Sadly my computer/tuning Kung Fu is non-existent

I'm lucky to be able to use forums

My go to is: Me talking to workshop - "how much money do you need to make what I want happen, OK, make it happen, where do I swipe"
That’s brilliant

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
main benefit with the aftermarket ecu's tho is u can pretty much setup any pid against another to achieve an outcome for it to adjust on the fly, u cant do that as broadly with the stock ecu's

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My post about traction control which gave me some good info that I'll talk to my tuner about

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-ss-torque-management.300314/

My plan is to see if I can limit torque down low to achieve minimal wheel spin when stomping on the throttle at the strip on drag radials, a little slip is fine, but bagging the wheels off the line not so much

If I can keep getting low 11's to high 10's consistently, by just mashing the throttle, I'll be super happy

It will probably help a "little" on street tyres, but probably not alot, but, on the street I typically drive like a grandma anyway

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you let the clutch out and then smash the pedal? Or do you clutch dump like some do, which I hear can have disasterous results for drivelines? I've had a practice run at the track but only floored it once the clutch grabbed.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
My post about traction control which gave me some good info that I'll talk to my tuner about

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-ss-torque-management.300314/

My plan is to see if I can limit torque down low to achieve minimal wheel spin when stomping on the throttle at the strip on drag radials, a little slip is fine, but bagging the wheels off the line not so much

If I can keep getting low 11's to high 10's consistently, by just mashing the throttle, I'll be super happy

It will probably help a "little" on street tyres, but probably not alot, but, on the street I typically drive like a grandma anyway
im not sure how adaptable the electronic throttle is to a cable vehicle as the ecu does alot more then just the engine side and TB had a controller too, the cable throttle will use spark to limit torque and u can allow that to go as low into the negatives as u want only thing is u dont want to be low timing with boost for too long as it will make more heat, ill put pic below of a 2001 gen3 torque management tab the table i have open is the one to play with per gear and rpm, im not sure how good it works being it only uses timing but would be worth a shot at the track

vx-torque-management.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE, 5.7, Gen3
main benefit with the aftermarket ecu's tho is u can pretty much setup any pid against another to achieve an outcome for it to adjust on the fly, u cant do that as broadly with the stock ecu's
Yeah, right. I can imagine how useful that could be.