Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS from across the ditch

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
He is the best in Christchurch on later model holdens and does some good tunes, he has experience doing them with all sorts of different mods and cars and is broadening his expertise all the time, my factory computer runs a realtime tuner so thats another he now has experience with.
He does my mates 11 second LS1 daily drive ute and heaps more modified stuff from turbo v8 bmws to bigblock supercharged chevs.

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
I made a small mod tonight as I spotted another possible bottleneck on the intake system.
I already have a home made cold air mod and decided that the horrible left hook the air takes from the airbox could restrict the flow decided to fix it by turning a spare top back to front and making an opening at the other end after doing some minor mods now the air has an almost straight run to the TB. The straight was borrowed from my efi off the Torana 202 which came from another

I extract air from between the radiator and the side of the guard and this feeds the airbox, I plan on making a few more mods around the airbox soon.

airboxmod_zpsbc155206.jpg

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
Bit of a late update. Well I went back out to the drags and won the run off decider I had to have with another driver after the last meeting was stopped when a big accident wrote off a rail.
I managed to to beat him by 0.005 of a second and the car ran flawlessly the entire time which allowed me to dial my reaction to what the car was doing. In the other teams competition I never lost a round but our team of 4 wasn't able to make it into the finals. The quickest time is not really an indication of how fast the car was as a couple of runs would have have easily pushed into 14.1's so I am bordering on breaking into the 13's and now less than 2mph away from the 100mph barrier.

I am having idling issues and will have another crack at it today to see if I can improve it but not that worried until I replace the intake so I am off now to take the BMW in for a long awaited WOF check as it has taken me 2 months to replace an idler arm so I can then take the Holden off the road to work on it.
It should prove interesting when I manage to get the intake on it to see how much it changes it's character.

The guy who sold me these tires reckon they would smoke nicely and give good grip, I reckon he was right!

1476016_627756287263872_2070164446_n_zps918889e9.jpg

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
Have I really been away for this long!

IMG_36011280x853_zps1ad2e285.jpg

IMG_36461280x1058_zps9916cc41.jpg

IMG_38181280x854_zps6b06d46b.jpg

IMG_39721280x932_zpsecca5614.jpg

Here is a video of a test drive:
[video]http://vid53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/kiwigraham/Commodore%20VR%20SS/650DP-49Litre-Holden_zpsa074c29d.mp4[/video]

So the guts of what I have done is upgrade to a 650 Double Pumper I have changed the jets up a size and I think I may need to change the squirter up a size as well.
I had to overcome a few things changing it over, the biggest was the 4L60E didn't want to play ball totally but I found it was due to vacuum not being enough and now it works like it did before.
I am still running the stock stall converter which makes it a little slow off the mark but it keeps wheelspin to a minimum.
The midrange and top end comes on strong and it was pulling strong at 6800rpm under a 2nd gear run, the video only takes it to 6400 but I think I am now 80% to where i want it. I have the 3.89 ratio ready and once I pull the diff out I will get it changed and run a std single spinner for a while

I am looking at a Dyno run next weekend to see what its doing

Last edited:

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
Dyno showed 180kW@5750rpm at the rears.
This is still only 9.4:1 compression so I reckon it's not to bad although I have lost a bit of torque which we are going to try and regain next week!