Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS LS3 Manual - weakest links?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
i also find the more power u make the more u have to invest in servicing and preventative maintenance, things start to need replacing an checking just for routine not for time/km driven
Yes indeed! I learned the hard way leaving cast cranks and pistons in engines for too many race km's despite crack testing, ended up in catastrophic failures. If only I'd changed those components at their use by date, we would have saved a lot of money in the long term.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rev Nev, are they still using Mallala? I heard it got pretty deteriorated after the Bend was built and so it was basically decommissioned? I used to race my bike there. It was my pet track, perfect for an old P5 race bike with those tight hairpins.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used to love tearing up to the corner after the northern hairpin, along that short straight and wait until I hit the 1 before reefing on the brakes and getting around other riders under brakes who would start braking at about the number 2 mark and taking them on the inside.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Rev Nev, are they still using Mallala? I heard it got pretty deteriorated after the Bend was built and so it was basically decommissioned? I used to race my bike there. It was my pet track, perfect for an old P5 race bike with those tight hairpins.
Yes, the Bend owners bought Mallala a few years ago and is still used for state level circuit racing cars and bikes and drifting. It's a great track for handling setup and developing engine torque and if a car works at Mallala, it'll pretty well work anywhere except Wanneroo in WA and Symmons Plains in TAS. The latter are real horsepower tracks where top end horsepower is faster than torque at production car level.

The Bend as a test track takes a really good driver with strong consistency to get setup right and we tend have more success testing at Mallala although it's a slow track and pretty boring in comparison. Winton in VIC runs an identical setup to Mallala and SA guys fast at Mallala are typically fast at Winton without much practice.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've ridden at Symmonds a couple of times and agree it's a HP track. I don't really like it as a circuit myself. Give me Mallala any day. I may try Baskerville at some point I've not seen it but have heard it's tighter.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've ridden at Symmonds a couple of times and agree it's a HP track. I don't really like it as a circuit myself. Give me Mallala any day. I may try Baskerville at some point I've not seen it but have heard it's tighter.
We raced at Symmons once with a VN Commodore in 2006 at a Shannon's round of the National Series. We won the previous round at Wanneroo in WA and tested at Symmons with same setup and seemed to work the same. We won that round also and set the lap record still standing today although I don't think our category has ever raced at Symmons since. The only prominent track I've never run a car at other than Baskerville TAS, is Hidden Valley NT.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

The Bend as a test track takes a really good driver with strong consistency to get setup right and we tend have more success testing at Mallala although it's a slow track and pretty boring in comparison. Winton in VIC runs an identical setup to Mallala and SA guys fast at Mallala are typically fast at Winton without much practice.
I love Winton (lots hate it though)

very technical in terms of car setup (as mentioned) but it really tests driver input too
it is certainly not a circuit where the man with the most horsepower will always win

ps.. having power steering and heaps of castor on the car helps ;)

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
We raced at Symmons once with a VN Commodore in 2006 at a Shannon's round of the National Series. We won the previous round at Wanneroo in WA and tested at Symmons with same setup and seemed to work the same. We won that round also and set the lap record still standing today although I don't think our category has ever raced at Symmons since. The only prominent track I've never run a car at other than Baskerville TAS, is Hidden Valley NT.
Can’t imagine the brakes on a car at Symonns, have ridden their 20 times and pads were new at the start of meet and glazed by end of weekend. That fast right got all the attention, but that little hump into turn 1 was so much fun, in weighting the bike.
Baskerville is technical as - I’ve done more laps around there than I can count. Alan jones once said that 1/2 the track was the most technical in the country…A 600 is much more fun than a 1000 there. I have done quite a few laps in the just jap 750hp skyline at basky - was pretty amazing, especially after resurfacing 2 years ago.
I always liked the paper clip - lots of fast corners mixed with some slow, it was fun in DJRs old cars when they’d hire them out, but the cars were detuned….but geez it cut up fast after they let truck raving go there….thankfully they stopped that quick smart… but PI has to be the best out there for both car and bike? A true mix of everything ?
Lakeside - dead now from memory - was another fantastic riders circuit, but not sure about cars. Even Morgan park could be fun on the right set up…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You in the North or South of Tas?

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
South now - saw your comment about Powranna. That’s fukn ****.