Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS LS3 Manual - weakest links?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@ZX14RVFSS don't forget to allow $1500+ to get the tune right. There will be places out there that might quote $800 but it will be a **** tune, from a **** tuning garage, who don't understand the LS ECM.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yep, and big HP = big money no matter which way you go.
I remember the first V8 Supercar engine I freshened up in 2012, was a Garry Rogers Aurora Chev from a VZ cost 24k in parts, 10k in the lifters and titanium valves, the camshaft with a different firing order only one bloke can supply was 2.5k. Easy to see how a brand new engine like these and 410 sprint car engines today end up around 100k.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yep, and big HP = big money no matter which way you go.
I've built my driveline to suit mild boost, which may never happen due to cost and no dragway in the state anymore but nothing near 600kw. However, $15k won't even scratch the itch..
pitty u dont have cathedral port heads as i may have a cheap blower sale in the future when i feel like upgrading

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i also find the more power u make the more u have to invest in servicing and preventative maintenance, things start to need replacing an checking just for routine not for time/km driven

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
pitty u dont have cathedral port heads as i may have a cheap blower sale in the future when i feel like upgrading
I was looking at a side mount, much to the disgust of the garage I'd ask to fit it. But I won't have any change from $20k by the time it's running. Kinda seems pointless now Powranna has closed down again, and for good this time it would seem.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
would be good to have some of the extra ''trickery'' of the aftermarket ecu's :D
With a 6 litre race engine that made 335rwkw with the stock ECU and I wouldn't say the tuner was exceptionally good, we ended up making 348kw with the Motec ECU playing around with injection timing and Indvidual cylinder trim along with the bonus of wideband lambda trim. At Mallala, we gained a solid 2/10ths of a second in lap times over race distance is quite a substantial gain beating a couple of cars that previously got away from us. The Motec ECU is easier to tune with tuning load sites derived from throttle position and RPM with minor BAP and air temp correction.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I remember the first V8 Supercar engine I freshened up in 2012, was a Garry Rogers Aurora Chev from a VZ cost 24k in parts, 10k in the lifters and titanium valves, the camshaft with a different firing order only one bloke can supply was 2.5k. Easy to see how a brand new engine like these and 410 sprint car engines today end up around 100k.
Yep that's it. Over here there a blokes that drop $40k on a street build without blinking.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I was looking at a side mount, much to the disgust of the garage I'd ask to fit it. But I won't have any change from $20k by the time it's running. Kinda seems pointless now Powranna has closed down again, and for good this time it would seem.
I’d say you could always do the Targa Tasmania and have some fun… but just be warned that the rally has a 120kph speed limit :p:oops:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
With a 6 litre race engine that made 335rwkw with the stock ECU and I wouldn't say the tuner was exceptionally good, we ended up making 348kw with the Motec ECU playing around with injection timing and Indvidual cylinder trim along with the bonus of wideband lambda trim. At Mallala, we gained a solid 2/10ths of a second in lap times over race distance is quite a substantial gain beating a couple of cars that previously got away from us. The Motec ECU is easier to tune with tuning load sites derived from throttle position and RPM with minor BAP and air temp correction.
so many Aus tuners dont understand the gains to be had with injection timing esp when boosted, u can almost use it like octane boost, and the torque gains in the low to mid are good too

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Before upping the HP in a big way probably best to build the driveline first IMO. The stock ZF won't even last long with factory HP once that ZF clutch gets a few thrashings.
Should probably replace the lifters while your at it, or it could all be for nothing.