Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS LS3 Manual - weakest links?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it is annoying. My ute was on the cover page of the site when it reopened for a while. They did a promotion and I was one of three cars that went out there to help the manager promote it. I was building my ute to drag there. Got it to a stage where it would be reliable and a dispute took place between the manager and the owner and it was shut down again. They spent a stack of coin on it too and now it sits there idle. Unfortunately I never got a chance to race.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.................. PI has to be the best out there for both car and bike? A true mix of everything ?
100% agree with that

having run both bikes (750 club racing) and the Grp A 85 Smithy special aka the VK Yellow Peril
around there in State racing, Vic V8s, Sprints and Supersprints, it is the best in Victoria for both.

The MotoGPS guys rave about it .... and I like running on it in the rain in the VK :eek:

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
Yeah it is annoying. My ute was on the cover page of the site when it reopened for a while. They did a promotion and I was one of three cars that went out there to help the manager promote it. I was building my ute to drag there. Got it to a stage where it would be reliable and a dispute took place between the manager and the owner and it was shut down again. They spent a stack of coin on it too and now it sits there idle. Unfortunately I never got a chance to race.
And so many pollies crying about hooning and ppl doing skids everywhere - but they can’t offer anything towards a solution by helping Powranna out…and of course, still nothing in the south either….

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll have to go for a drive and check Baskerville when they have a meet on. It would be interesting to take the RD400 out there on a practice/open day. My days of racing are probably over now, although might pick it back up at some point, who knows?. Certainly Symmons is not the best track for an old 77 RD400. I can't compete with blokes out there on their 750s that fly around that Northern sweeper at pretty much WOT. I really dislike the downhill hairpin, it just doesn't feel right to me.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
The RD would be perfect at basky!!
Would you believe 12 years ago, you could go out to track, if nothing on, pay $80 and track was yours? No ambulance and you sign your life away but still safer than road - It was heaven.
The more powerful bikes suck at basky for a fast B grader at least.
There are very few right handers on the circuit, so 1st right handed under bridge - you are spinning the crap out of rear…then technical city, off cambers S’s, that lead into a 2nd gear wot up hill (wheel stand central) into hungry corner, a fukn corner you have to tip into - BEFORE you can see it…it’s called hungry for a reason lol. Then down the short back straight, if you’ve got more than 170hp, the track has a huge bump in the middle of circuit, that will see front wheel near your ears at over 200…then if you land a little crossed up, a little slapper might push your pads back so no braking on 1st application…nope - I went almost a full sec fast on cbr6 vs my gix1 race bike.
It's a fantastic track though - don’t think you’ll get there and work it out, just enjoy it for what it is first few times, you’ll love it on the RD. SRCT do ride days there, not cheap though.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Even Morgan park could be fun on the right set up…
Morgan Park is a good track, we raced there last in 2010 and blew an engine with a 5 second lead in the first race. We couldn't afford a spare engine and the loss of 3 races cost us the national title by 4 points that year.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
and I like running on it in the rain in the VK
The rain sorts the men from the boys! I remember watching Shane Van Gisbergen in the wet in the early days and told our guys he's better than Whincup and they all laughed at me. About 3 weeks later, Roland Dane picked him to drive for Triple 8 and the rest is history!

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
A few years ago I looked @ Holmart’s LSA engine & manual or auto gearbox combo and if memory serves it was around $25k not including the diff @ $4k. I didn't get the stuff cause lack of storage :(

These days it’s around $42k with auto ($35k with manual) again without diff (which is $6k) so one’s gotta love the govco inflation figures :rolleyes:

https://www.holmart.com.au/?q=Supercharged&hPP=24&idx=holmart_SEARCH&p=0&rf=kw&kw=Supercharged

You think that's bad?

eBay used to how many previous items had been sold.

Circa 2017, those packages were selling for less than $12K. Holmart has certainly made an impressive return on investment!
Same with the LFX engines, used to be less than $3K, now round 7K (But on sale for 6)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
The rain sorts the men from the boys! I remember watching Shane Van Gisbergen in the wet in the early days and told our guys he's better than Whincup and they all laughed at me. About 3 weeks later, Roland Dane picked him to drive for Triple 8 and the rest is history!

being a PIARC member, have done a number of 6 hour relay events at PI ....
and when its raining, hailing at the Island, I get LOTS of tracks time during these ;)

ps.. the pic is of my better half, she is good with the team board (held out for me)

Pidsc00725_s.jpg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You think that's bad?

eBay used to how many previous items had been sold.

Circa 2017, those packages were selling for less than $12K. Holmart has certainly made an impressive return on investment!
Same with the LFX engines, used to be less than $3K, now round 7K (But on sale for 6)
Ebay sellers and mobs like Holmart, like to imply they have the last of obsolete parts when in fact, they're not obsolete and are still available from Holden Parts dealers at a much cheaper price.

The other day I bought a VF2 air intake sound tube blanking plate and cost me $39 with 26 in stock at HSPO Melbourne. There's a couple advertised on Ebay between $65 and $75. I think I mentioned a while ago chrome door belt mouldings for a VF wagon were $230 for a set from Holden with plenty in stock. There's some on Ebay advertised "last set" for $550. There's more VF parts still available from Holden Parts than some may think!